Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a BMW extended maintenance agreement that will run out at the end of next month. My vehicle has 94,500 miles and thought it a good idea to have the rear brakes inspected by a local BMW dealer before the warranty expired. (fronts were replaced at 40K and still have good life)

The dealer stated the rear pad(s) measured at 4.168 mm and BMW would not allow replacement until pads were down to 3.75 mm. Less than 0.5 mm difference and they wouldn't replace.

:thumbdwn:

Anyone have similar experience or have more information on the warranty/wear issue?

Thank you!

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
I have a BMW extended maintenance agreement that will run out at the end of next month. My vehicle has 94,500 miles and thought it a good idea to have the rear brakes inspected by a local BMW dealer before the warranty expired. (fronts were replaced at 40K and still have good life)

The dealer stated the rear pad(s) measured at 4.168 mm and BMW would not allow replacement until pads were down to 3.75 mm. Less than 0.5 mm difference and they wouldn't replace.

:thumbdwn:

Anyone have similar experience or have more information on the warranty/wear issue?

Thank you!
Yes and no. Sometimes the dealer is allowed to do certain CBS's early. Sometimes, not. I have an excellent relationship with my SA and he has been able to push some things through and others (notably brakes) not. BMW got very Nazi-ish with the brakes a few years back.

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
Ask them the measure the inner pad and not the outer pad. I bet they measured the outer pad. Inside pad usually wears faster. Or go drive with your foot on the brake.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

·
Registered
48 Posts
Oh, yes, the dealers would find anything to avoid changing something under the warranty. My girlfriend has a new Mercedes E Class bought with £32,000 from the dealer (they offered her a £10,000 discount as this was a car exposed for the customers, although the car was in a pristine condition with little less than 70 miles on the computer). She paid an extra £600 as an extra insurance which cover paint (including chips, scratches and dents), tires (in case of overwear, FLAT TYRES, etc.), brake pads, the alloy wheels and the windscreen. Guess what: when she had a flat tyre they were saying that the tyre had the thread under the limit with 0.4mm (although just the inner thread had a bit of damage because of the flat tyre). So in the end she had to pay for the tyre and for the labour. So she paid around £320 for that, with the insurance described above.

I tried to explain to her this is something we can do with less than £120, but she was so stubborn to think the insurance will cover it, as it was supposed to and also she will lose the warranty.

That’s why they’re called “stealership” not “dealership”. I wouldn’t bother too much to convince them, as they are covered legally. But what you can do is to use the brakes excessively until you will drop under the specifications.

If they are clever, then you have to be more clever than them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,256 Posts
Tell them you feel a slight pulse in the pedal at 80 mph. Might not get you pads, but may get you rotors.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts