BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2013 535d Xdrive. Started to feel vibrations through the chassis at idle about a month ago. Had all engine and tranny mounts replaced. Problem is worse with new mounts. Engine is very obviously “buzzing” at idle. Smooths out at 1000rpm and beyond. I’ve no idea where to start. No codes. No misfires. Perhaps harmonic balancer?

·
Registered
E30 325e, E34 535i, E46 330Ci, E60 530i, F10 528i, F10 535d
823 Posts
How many miles do you have? One possibility is carbon build up. All diesels have this issue. If you have ISTA, there is smooth running utility which could give you a quantitative analysis.

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 119K miles NOKIAN WR G3 30K miles
23,733 Posts
Replaced motor mounts because you felt a vibration? Did you check the motor mounts vacuum control function that shifts from soft to hard at 1050 RPM?

BMW F10 535d xDrive Sedan / Wiring Diagrams and Functional Description / Power train / Digital Diesel Electronics / Engine mounting /Engine mount control /
Engine mount control
The controllable engine mounts are switched to ”hard” or ”soft” corresponding to operating conditions.
Function
The changeover valve connects the engine mounts to the vacuum supply. When activated by the DDE master control unit, the changeover valve switches vacuum to the engine mounts which in turn switch to ”soft”.
The engine mounts are activated as follows:
-From ”soft” to ”hard” when 1050 rpm is exceeded
-From ”hard” to ”soft” when 950 rpm is not reached
Troubleshooting
If a defect occurs in the activation of the changeover valve, a fault is stored.

·
Registered
823 Posts
At 149k, you definitely need to clean your intake. I saw a video and the person was using a pressure washer, seems like a good method. You should google, plenty of videos from Europe on this topic.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
At 149k, you definitely need to clean your intake. I saw a video and the person was using a pressure washer, seems like a good method. You should google, plenty of videos from Europe on this topic.
Thanks! There is a recall campaign on the car that involve may involve replacing the intake under. The EGR cooler is due to be replaced by the dealer. If it has leaked, a new intake will be installed.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Replaced motor mounts because you felt a vibration? Did you check the motor mounts vacuum control function that shifts from soft to hard at 1050 RPM?

BMW F10 535d xDrive Sedan / Wiring Diagrams and Functional Description / Power train / Digital Diesel Electronics / Engine mounting /Engine mount control /
Engine mount control
The controllable engine mounts are switched to ”hard” or ”soft” corresponding to operating conditions.
Function
The changeover valve connects the engine mounts to the vacuum supply. When activated by the DDE master control unit, the changeover valve switches vacuum to the engine mounts which in turn switch to ”soft”.
The engine mounts are activated as follows:
-From ”soft” to ”hard” when 1050 rpm is exceeded
-From ”hard” to ”soft” when 950 rpm is not reached
Troubleshooting
If a defect occurs in the activation of the changeover valve, a fault is stored.
Thanks Doug,
I do not believe my 2013 535d has vacuum operated engine mounts. The engine is visible shaking at idle in a way it did not when I bought it,

·
Munich Mark - 2014 535XD
1,447 Posts
Unfortunately Intake Cleaners don’t due the job on Direct Injection Engines as the Fuel is injected direct into the Cylinder.

Only way to clean is to manually de-Carbonize the entire EGR Tract = EGR Valve/ Cooler, Manifold with Swirl Flaps right up to the Inlet Valves.

A Borescope inspection can shed light on the current exact condition.

·
Registered
823 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Unfortunately Intake Cleaners don’t due the job on Direct Injection Engines as the Fuel is injected direct into the Cylinder.

Only way to clean is to manually de-Carbonize the entire EGR Tract = EGR Valve/ Cooler, Manifold with Swirl Flaps right up to the Inlet Valves.

A Borescope inspection can shed light on the current exact condition.
Hi Mark,
Yes, I understand how DFI works. This is not a fuel additive. It is introduced into the intake through a vacuum line.

·
Munich Mark - 2014 535XD
1,447 Posts
Yes, you could apply it every1000 miles or so to keep it cleaner but that’s a bit of manual work and I’m not sure anyone has tried that before over time with the amounts required. One could make a sealable entry point at the EGR entrance to the Cooler I guess but would have to Drive the Car to get it to flow properly one would think ? If flammable, which it most certainly is, could create havoc to the system or even burn the Plastic Manifold like leaking Coolant ?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes, you could apply it every1000 miles or so to keep it cleaner but that’s a bit of manual work and I’m not sure anyone has tried that before over time with the amounts required. One could make a sealable entry point at the EGR entrance to the Cooler I guess but would have to Drive the Car to get it to flow properly one would think ? If flammable, which it most certainly is, could create havoc to the system or even burn the Plastic Manifold like leaking Coolant ?
I believe that it is typically introduced at the charge pipe, after the MAF sensor. Engine speed is 2000rpm. It is most definitely a flammable petrochemical. Internet ratings are a mixed bag. Some say it woks, some sayI does almost nothing. Worth trying at under $15.

·
Mmmmmm…
590 Posts
While I don't have the 6-banger, I had rough idles and a friend said try those Ceratec oil additives for my engine and it actually made my idles and low RPMs smoother. I don't know the science too much but I just put in injector cleaning in the gas once in while and I change my oil every 7k miles. Been 20k miles and 3 oil changes since I last did the additives and my idles are still pretty smooth.

·
Registered
823 Posts
While I don't have the 6-banger, I had rough idles and a friend said try those Ceratec oil additives for my engine and it actually made my idles and low RPMs smoother. I don't know the science too much but I just put in injector cleaning in the gas once in while and I change my oil every 7k miles. Been 20k miles and 3 oil changes since I last did the additives and my idles are still pretty smooth.
Do you have a diesel? We are discussing a diesel engine with EGR which let exhaust back into the intake.

·
Munich Mark - 2014 535XD
1,447 Posts
Unfortunately non-invasive Carbon cleanup does not work at all based on experience here in Germany where the vast majority of F10/ F11’s are Diesels. If over 100K miles it’s there, question is how much. A Borescope inspection takes about 15 mins then you know.

Walnut Blasting is the easier part, AGR Tubes, Cooler, Valve and especilly the Manifold is where you get your hands dirty like you’ve never seen before.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts