BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have fallen in love with a 2008 535i, 40k miles, excellent condition. Only reservation: on city streets (25-35mph), the steering feels just a bit twitchy, in other words, it takes some concentration (just a bit, but noticeable) to maintain a straight line. At highway speeds 60 mph +, all is fine and rock steady. The original tires have been replaced with Michelin Pilot Sport tires. Is this the nature of the beast, or the tires, or perhaps alignment settings?

This would be my first BMW and want to know if this condition can be improved if I buy it. Thanks for any advice.

·
U of Dawgs
2,438 Posts
Could be the tension strut front mount (bushing) needing replacement or worn lower front control arm. Get a PPI and mention that... it can cost up to $700 just to replace the bushings.

Another idea is... what size wheels does it have? Those 19" to 22" rims can be rough...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK, thanks - really green here, but what's a PPI? Also, it has the original wheels, I think 17-18.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Start simple, check the tire pressure. Dunlops RFTs on my car tramline like crazy when the tire pressunre drops below 30. And I only feel it around town.

·
U of Dawgs
2,438 Posts
OK, thanks - really green here, but what's a PPI? Also, it has the original wheels, I think 17-18.
Pre-purchase Inspection by a private or third party... they can save you a lot of headaches.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Have fallen in love with a 2008 535i, 40k miles, excellent condition. Only reservation: on city streets (25-35mph), the steering feels just a bit twitchy, in other words, it takes some concentration (just a bit, but noticeable) to maintain a straight line. At highway speeds 60 mph +, all is fine and rock steady. The original tires have been replaced with Michelin Pilot Sport tires. Is this the nature of the beast, or the tires, or perhaps alignment settings?

This would be my first BMW and want to know if this condition can be improved if I buy it. Thanks for any advice.
Does the vehicle have Active Steering?

That was one of my must-NOT-haves when I was shopping for my current 2008 535i.

I have heard that it can cause some of the issues you are describing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, tire pressures - could be - thanks for the reminder.

Active Steering - not sure if it has it, but will find out. As I recall, the feeling was almost as if it was originating from inside the steering mechanism, not as a result of external forces like tires on pavement irregularities. It was a slight notchy feel as the wheel was turned ever so slightly off center, left or right.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Mine done the same thing, it pulls to the right... I only really notice it when I'm going over 55-60. It annoying when you are taking long trips. I was thinking it was the alignment prob.???

1 - 8 of 8 Posts