BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are about ready to finalize our 2012 ED order of a 535i RWD M-Sport in AW & Oyster/Black Nappa. Other options include Cold Weather, Driver Assist, Premium, Technology, SAT, HUD, Side/Top Cameras, Rear sunshades. Should we add Active Steering? Our SA thinks it will likely mean new tires every 20k - true? My search on the forum indicates many think this would be an important option on an F10. I am concerned about the electronic steering feel on the 2012 we drove (a non M Sport or IAS model) and would like to get more than 20k out of the Michelin Pilot S/S I plan to put on the car stateside if equipped with the Goodyear LS2's. Your thoughts?

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
We are about ready to finalize our 2012 ED order of a 535i RWD M-Sport in AW & Oyster/Black Nappa. Other options include Cold Weather, Driver Assist, Premium, Technology, SAT, HUD, Side/Top Cameras, Rear sunshades. Should we add Active Steering? Our SA thinks it will likely mean new tires every 20k - true? My search on the forum indicates many think this would be an important option on an F10. I am concerned about the electronic steering feel on the 2012 we drove (a non M Sport or IAS model) and would like to get more than 20k out of the Michelin Pilot S/S I plan to put on the car stateside if equipped with the Goodyear LS2's. Your thoughts?
Performance tires don't last.

Performance run flat tires don't last on the east coast.

Buy the tire insurance. You will need it.

LS2's suck and are being removed from virtually every BMW ever built. :rofl:

Use the search button, everything you asked has been covered,

·
The Driver
4,641 Posts
I can't comment on wear, but I really love the IAS. It makes the car seem as nimble as a 3 series. The regular steering makes the car feel big. In my opinion it is the best option you can buy. I think the biggest risk to whether you can exceed 20k miles is that this car is RWD so you can't rotate tires.

I don't think IAS affects tire wear as long as the car is properly aligned.

·
The Driver
4,641 Posts
Also don't worry about LS2s. If you are buying the 535i RWD M-Sport car, then you will get Dunlop SP Sportmaxx GT DSST tires. I have these tires on my 2012 550i M-Sport. They are very good, and reviews suggest they don't have the issues the LS2s have.

Personally I plan to swap out the Dunlops very soon because I just don't like the rigidity of run flat tires over manhole covers and expansion joints, but I would say these tires are very good and most people ought to keep them. In fact the only reason I am swapping them out is because I like taking 90 degree highway ramps with expansion joints at 80mph and I think a hard runflat might be dangerous in that extreme situation.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
RWD M-Sport models don't come with GY LS2. IAS is not going to affect tire wear. Your hoonage is going to affect tire wear more. $1750 for IAS. If you plan on being an agressive driver, I don't think it's as important as ARS

·
Registered
451 Posts
IAS is a must (at least for me). Once you've had it, it's hard to go back to a car that doesn't have it. It doesn't matter if you're an aggressive driver or not since it works at low speeds too. It won't wear out your tires any faster.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Is AS the same as IAS?

or is Integral Active Steering different than active steering? :dunno:

I had a car with AS in the past. It was ok, no issues. But I could live without it.

The more crap I loaded on my cars the more problems I had.

Active steering errors, suspension lights, etc.

I simplified this time as a BMW without all the bells and whistles is still problematic and I don't care if repairs are free, my time is valuable.:bigpimp:

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Is AS the same as IAS?

or is Integral Active Steering different than active steering? :dunno:

I had a car with AS in the past. It was ok, no issues. But I could live without it.

The more crap I loaded on my cars the more problems I had.

Active steering errors, suspension lights, etc.

I simplified this time as a BMW without all the bells and whistles is still problematic and I don't care if repairs are free, my time is valuable.:bigpimp:
Correct, AS, steers the rear wheels in the opposite direction at low speeds making the cars turning radius in parking lots better. I honestly couldn't tell a huge difference between the two. Your point about complexity is a an important one. At the end of the day, the more complex the car gets the repair bills follow the same pattern. Sometimes the unicycle seems like a better idea.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Correct, AS, steers the rear wheels in the opposite direction at low speeds making the cars turning radius in parking lots better. I honestly couldn't tell a huge difference between the two. Your point about complexity is a an important one. At the end of the day, the more complex the car gets the repair bills follow the same pattern. Sometimes the unicycle seems like a better idea.
If you're talking BMW, then no.

BMW's original active steering did no steer the rear wheels, is just changed the ratio on the number of turns to take the steering wheel from full left to full right, again based on speed.

New for the F10 IAS includes (on non-X models) rears steering, at slow speeds the rear wheels in the opposite direction of the front, at high speeds the same direction as the fronts but at a smaller angle.

For slow speed maneuverability (city driving, parking, etc.) IAS is VERY nice. For aggressive driving it's more a matter of taste/experience. On a larger car like the F10 I really don't like IAS for aggressive driving. Some long time ago on a 4WS Prelude I loved it, but a much smaller car.

Test drive them both if you can, or tell you dealer to do a dealer search until you've found cars in stock to test.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
If you're talking BMW, then no.

BMW's original active steering did no steer the rear wheels, is just changed the ratio on the number of turns to take the steering wheel from full left to full right, again based on speed.

New for the F10 IAS includes (on non-X models) rears steering, at slow speeds the rear wheels in the opposite direction of the front, at high speeds the same direction as the fronts but at a smaller angle.

For slow speed maneuverability (city driving, parking, etc.) IAS is VERY nice. For aggressive driving it's more a matter of taste/experience. On a larger car like the F10 I really don't like IAS for aggressive driving. Some long time ago on a 4WS Prelude I loved it, but a much smaller car.

Test drive them both if you can, or tell you dealer to do a dealer search until you've found cars in stock to test.
This reminds me of the 1990's Honda Prelude with 4 wheel steering.

I would be fearfull of a BMW with IAS, DHP, ARS, etc. a nightmare when there are issues especially out of warranty. If you have this stuff, I would be leasing as cars equipped with this stuff will become disposable due to costly repairs.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well after reading everyones replies and other threads I guess we will pass on this option. Save our money for beer in Munich!!!:)

·
The Driver
4,641 Posts
I think you should note that the only people who don't value IAS are the one's who don't have it. I think you will be hard pressed to find anyone who has IAS who doesn't love it.

In my opinion, as the owner of 4 BMWs since 1997 including an M3, IAS makes the F10 steer more like a BMW. It creates a sense of agility and responsiveness in a large car. And I say this as probably one of the most aggressive 550i drivers out there.

Lot's of F10 owners complain about the steering, but none of the IAS owners do.

·
The Driver
4,641 Posts

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
I would be fearfull of a BMW with IAS, DHP, ARS, etc. a nightmare when there are issues especially out of warranty. If you have this stuff, I would be leasing as cars equipped with this stuff will become disposable due to costly repairs.
+100. I have easily passed on all of those without a doubt. I plan on keeping the car for 10-15 years and do DIY stuff. This stuff would not only make it way more expensive to fix anything, there'd most likely be zero DIY writeups on it too...

·
Registered
477 Posts
IAS affects the handling of the car (improved according to many owners). But should not enhance steering feel AFAIK. There are reviewers who even said that IAS adds artificiality to the steering. But yes, I don't have IAS, and experienced it only on the 7er.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.