BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like the sound my v8 bimmer makes, however I'd love that it has a little bit more of an agressive sound when I floor it. I dont want straight pipes though because I still want it to sound civilized when I drive normally.

That being said, after searching on the web and some older forum posts I came to the conclusion that I wanted a magnaflow muffler tip and keep the rest stock for now.

This is the one that seems good for the e39 since I found it on another thread.
https://www.amazon.com/Magnaflow-14816-Polished-Stainless-Muffler/dp/B000CCFJ4S

I haven't ever changed an exhaust on a car. I know that it needs to be welded, luckily my friend's dad is a pretty experienced welder. I dont think he ever welded a new exhaust on a car though but I think we'll be fine on that aspect.

If I buy this exhaust can I just remove the old one and weld this in place or does it need a conversion of some sort? (I know I need to cut a piece out of my bumper)

·
Registered
725 Posts
Magnaflow makes a decent product. They do tend to be on the quiet side for "performance sounding" mufflers. Probably close to what you're looking for. I've done a ton of exhausts, at least a dozen. Welding, IMO, is not usually what you want to do. Get GOOD muffler clamps instead. I use them on my 700HP, 2008 Corvette with a $2000 Billy Boat exhaust. They've stayed in place for 6 years and not leaked or loosened one bit, none! You may want to swap it out some day and the welds usually make the part rust. He used a sawz all to cut it off. It's also easier to get the muffler aligned properly. A great muffler shop suggested this method to me. I've done it that way on my 600HP GTO too, which also doesn't leak at all, nor come loose in 8 years.

·
Registered
106 Posts
but doesn't the muffler need to be welded to the exhaust pipe coming from the headers?

assuming he is only getting the muffler and not a full exhaust.

·
Registered
725 Posts
I don't have ANY welds on my exhaust. I've wanted to swap before. Plus, I didn't want any rust forming and spreading from welding the metal and ruining the stainless coatings. Also exhaust headers are always bolted on at the collector. Definetely not welded! I have headers on my Corvette and GTO. I've never seen a welded header at the collector.

·
Registered
725 Posts
CATS are welded in place though. They don't want them removed.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hmm. I always thought the muffler had to be welded to the pipe. But good to know it doesn't have to be welded. The stock muffler would still need to be cut off, correct? Or is that also just clamped on?

·
Registered
725 Posts
The BMW is new to me, fairly anyway. I've had back surgery and haven't been able to get down on my knees to look to see if it's welded or not, which really blows. Sometimes, OEM's have a way of doing it in one piece too. Sorry, can't answer that one for sure.

·
Nothing to read here...
2,694 Posts
Lol what happened to my post?

First you should measure the exhaust inlet size so you buy the adapter or if there's a larger variant of themselves you posted. I think the i6s use a 2.75in pipe and the v8s use a 3in from the y-res back. Could be wrong.

If you cut off the muffler you won't be able to get a clamp on there since pipe has to avoid the suspension soon comments it has some bends. If you wanna use clamps you'll need to weld a small straight pipe in to get some clamping area.

Google e39 exhaust/underbody images and you'll get the idea.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)

First you should measure the exhaust inlet size so you buy the adapter or if there's a larger variant of themselves you posted. I think the i6s use a 2.75in pipe and the v8s use a 3in from the y-res back. Could be wrong.

If you cut off the muffler you won't be able to get a clamp on there since pipe has to avoid the suspension soon comments it has some bends. If you wanna use clamps you'll need to weld a small straight pipe in to get some clamping area.

yeah I was looking at the e39 exhaust system on google images and also took a quick look under my car.

I think that you are right about the 3" exhaust pipe, the mufller has a 2.25" inlet so that will mean that i have to buy a 3" to 2.25" "exhast pipe to component reducer" if I'm not mistaken.

So I think this is what I need to do:

1. Grind the old muffler off
2. Weld on the "exhaust pipe reducer"
3. Weld on the magnaflow mufffler
4. Cut a little piece out of the bumper for the exhaust tip

·
Registered
725 Posts

From what I'm reading here, you just use two clamps instead of one. If it's torched off, you'll lose material, but not if it's cut-off. There's no reason to put the torch to the parts. That's all. If you can get a torch in there, you can surely get a sawzall there too. A liitle safer.

I guess you could try painting the torched parts with some VHT black paint to help stop them from rusting.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts