BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been watching with strong interest on Reliability Issues on BMW 535i for quite some time. I believe less and less people are complaining about Reliability. I hope it keeps getting better!

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Five and a half years, 40k on the odometer, and zero issues with mine (fingers crossed).

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
I don’t think there were a lot of reliability complaints to begin with?

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
I don’t think there were a lot of reliability complaints to begin with?
The Consumer Reports reliability survey shows the 2011 & 2012 model years are problematic, resulting in a 1 out of 5 score. 2013 and later models are average in terms of reliability.

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
The Consumer Reports reliability survey shows the 2011 & 2012 model years are problematic, resulting in a 1 out of 5 score. 2013 and later models are average in terms of reliability.
Hmmm... Our 2012 has ~83K relatively trouble-free miles. Nothing that came close to leaving us stranded.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts

Ah. I thought he meant among the population in this forum.

But aren’t those CR scores across the whole 5 platform or is that a 535 cut

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I have been watching with strong interest on Reliability Issues on BMW 535i for quite some time. I believe less and less people are complaining about Reliability. I hope it keeps getting better!
Overall, I think the 535i is pretty good. I'll say that it has a couple of the traditional BMW problems (gasket issues primarily) but mine is heading towards 75k without any other issues (knock on wood).

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Don't know in what year but supposedly BMW changed oil filter housing from plastic to aluminum to address the issue. I hope your car has aluminum housing.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Ah. I thought he meant among the population in this forum.

But aren’t those CR scores across the whole 5 platform or is that a 535 cut?
Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app
He probabaly did mean on this forum.
I should have mentioned that the CR reliability is for the 5 series overall. I wish they would break it out by model within the series because in looking closer at the problem areas it seems those overall scores are most likely skewed by the early N63 problems in the 550's.
Problem areas for 2011 & 2012 are major and minor engine issues, fuel system, electrical, & suspension(2011 only).
So nevermind :)

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
Don't know in what year but supposedly BMW changed oil filter housing from plastic to aluminum to address the issue. I hope your car has aluminum housing.
Our 2012 and 2014 have the aluminum housing. The 2012's gasket leaked and needed replacement.

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
At five years and 57k miles, my only problems have been corroded exhaust tips (replaced twice under warranty), and the driver's door sometimes doesn't manually unlock (by pulling the inside door handle). The door handle thing seems to be a common problem with F10's.

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
Couple other points I would wonder about is how does that tie into BMW becoming a glorified leasing company or the explosive growth of sub-model variants?

·
Registered
78 Posts
2011 535i M-Sport, 117k

Had the e39, e60 and now f10.
Most reliable and comfortable ride of all three.
I’m a happy camper.
Love it!!!

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Couple other points I would wonder about is how does that tie into BMW becoming a glorified leasing company or the explosive growth of sub-model variants?
Reliability complaints may have gone down because people have already thrown their cars away by habitually trading them as soon as the factory warranty and free maintenance ends or by serially leasing. These are the most expensive ways to own a car. It is amazing how people treat the warranty period as the de facto life of a car.

I'm only at 121k miles on my 2014 535dx and it has been very reliable. The car is a long term keeper (10+ years) and won't be for sale anytime soon. I am not worried about warranty coverage or reliability complaints. My 2012 X5 35d is only at 212k miles and going strong and it too has been very reliable.

With my driving around 1k miles per week on the highway, I'm into my cars for the long haul. Serially leasing or habitually trading won't work for me. My cars won't owe me a dime by the time I'm done with them. "Cheaper to keep'er" applies.

Sent from my XP8800 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
131 Posts
535 reliability.

72K on our '14 535xi Msport purchased new and absolutely no issues other than routine maintenance.

On second set of tires, ditched the run-flats.

No current plans to replace it, have 3 other cars in the fleet: 2013 Honda Accord, 2017 X3, 2014 F-150.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Wow, nice to see people actually reporting good things and good experiences with their cars.
I'm new to the BMW world, just purchased my first ever BMW, a preowned '15, 535 XI.
I started reading through the forums and it kind of scared me...all the issues people are reporting!

All the Best,
Grizzly

·
Registered
275 Posts
Well, I feel the guideline here is a bit too generous.
1. Valve Cover oil leak through the gasket
2. Water Pump issue
3. Oil filter housing leak
4. VANOS solenoid fail
You guys really don't have any of this? Have you looked at the oil pan under the hood? No oil leak? Then you should admit your car is one of very very special.
I really like my car due to its sporty characteristic but never thought any BMW model is reliable.
My guideline of good reliability is no hiccup with the unexpected spending due to the unexpected breakdown. It happens but it happens too early with BMW.

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
Well, I feel the guideline here is a bit too generous.
1. Valve Cover oil leak through the gasket
2. Water Pump issue
3. Oil filter housing leak
4. VANOS solenoid fail
You guys really don't have any of this? Have you looked at the oil pan under the hood? No oil leak? Then you should admit your car is one of very very special.
I really like my car due to its sporty characteristic but never thought any BMW model is reliable.
My guideline of good reliability is no hiccup with the unexpected spending due to the unexpected breakdown. It happens but it happens too early with BMW.
Our 2012 has just over 85K miles. Its needed valve cover and oil filter housing gaskets; no other leaks. Water pump and VANOS are original and fine.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
22,893 Posts
Well there you go. I guess this thread settles it.....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts