BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've owned a E60 535i for the past five months. Current mods are Cobb Tune & Eisenmann exhaust. I love the car but did not buy the sport package. The car has been flawless however I miss the tight feeling of a 3 series. I was thinking about upgrading the suspension and wheels to give it a tighter ride. I want to participate in track event next year and I think the E90 M3 is right up my alley. I have two kids so I need a sedan.

Has anyone gone from a 5 to an M3 and what has been your experience? Will I miss my 535?

Thanks for your input.

· Registered
1,618 Posts
The M3 is a lot smaller inside the cabin. Especially the rear seat is cramped, so if you want a hybrid racer/family sedan I think the space issue is worth considering.
I mention as I considered a 4 door M3 before settling on the 5.

I did not go for an M5 because I wanted primarily to have a smooth, comfortable daily driver, something I could use for various private and business errands. I liked the M5 a lot but couldn't see my wife heading to the store for groceries in it. She wouldn't know how to work the SMG!

You already have some tunes for your 5. If you wanted to murder an M3 on the race track your next step would be to add downpipes and meth. That solves the power difference in your favor.
For handling you could add coil overs and beefier sway bars. Wider tires in the rear. Depending on your budget you can turn your 535 into an M5 competitor. Some difference for sure, but you can hang with them for not that much money. That;s the beauty of the N54 engine and the e60 platform. 420 wheel hp/500 wheel torque is within reach for $2,000 or so.

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oceans thanks for the feedback. Before I drop more money into my car I can drive a M3 and be very content without modding it. It's a hard choice because I love the torque with the Cobb, but I can sell it and the exhaust and not look back.

· Registered
3,114 Posts
The answer comes down to how much track-event you'll do over out of town travelling.
I can't get comfortable in my 335i m-sport seats comapre to 535i sport/comfort seats, I am average size guy.
the problem is you don't have sport-package on your 535i, that ARS systems help minimize body roll quite a bit but still not M3 suspension class.

· Registered
201 Posts
I've owned a E60 535i for the past five months. Current mods are Cobb Tune & Eisenmann exhaust. I love the car but did not buy the sport package. The car has been flawless however I miss the tight feeling of a 3 series. I was thinking about upgrading the suspension and wheels to give it a tighter ride. I want to participate in track event next year and I think the E90 M3 is right up my alley. I have two kids so I need a sedan.

Has anyone gone from a 5 to an M3 and what has been your experience? Will I miss my 535?

Thanks for your input.
Keep the 535. The M3 has no torque and is too small.
By the way, how do you like your exhaust? Any drone?
If you sell the E60, what will you ask for the exhaust?

· Registered
1,463 Posts
I went from e46 M3 to 550, because I wanted a little more forgivable ride (not a suspension, more less jerking). M3 is daily car its possible and nothing wrong, but I have tired switching gears and braking because the car is crazy fast and it's react fast on throttle which is making hard to driving in traffic. E90 is more smoother then e46 m3, but you are still having that rapid acceleration and you have to braking, then again and again.
My advice, take test drive during rush hours and will understand what I meant.

· Registered
1,132 Posts
I was thinking the same once I drive my friends M3. I would be moving from a v8 E60 so the power would be a bit more and completely different driving experience. I brought my car in and asked for a four-door 3 series for my loaner. I had it for a few days and experienced it with a 2 year old and a 5 year old. The car is much smaller and did not feel it would be a good choice with kids that age. If they were out of car seats I would have made the move.

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm going to drive the car this weekend to see how it feels. I was really trying to avoid spending more money on the 5. Suspension is 3K and Wheels 3K Plus another 2K+ for FMIC & Downpipes. That's another 8K in this car. That is the only reason why I am thinking M3. Adjustable suspension, more than enough HP with the M3. I love my Eisenmann exhaust, there is noticeable drone when it's breaking in but goes away. Not sure how much I would sell the exhaust for.

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm looking at a 2008 Sedan 42,miles for 41K - 6MT Technology Package, Cold Weather, Full Loaded.

· Registered
27 Posts
I'm going to drive the car this weekend to see how it feels. I was really trying to avoid spending more money on the 5. Suspension is 3K and Wheels 3K Plus another 2K+ for FMIC & Downpipes. That's another 8K in this car. That is the only reason why I am thinking M3. Adjustable suspension, more than enough HP with the M3. I love my Eisenmann exhaust, there is noticeable drone when it's breaking in but goes away. Not sure how much I would sell the exhaust for.
I want that exhaust if you're selling....

· Registered
1,618 Posts
I agree with the earlier point made re 535 sports version which has the ARS system and firmer suspension. It is a better platform for track duty and would require less suspension mods than your current 5.
With a $500 meth kit and your Cobb and exhaust you could achieve cheap power, probably 400-420 WHP. Not sure why wheels are $3,000, sounds exotic. Lots of replica options for maybe half that.

Anyway sounds like you want the finished package and willing to go more compact. Nothing wrong with an M3. I just don't find them very practical for family duty around town. I would gladly take one for week-end duty though.
Hey, my other car is a 5 wagon at least! Chipped.

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Guys I made the move and picked up the M3 tonight. You guys have been really helpful over the past few months. I will have my Cobb Accessport and Eisenmann Race for sale. PM me if you are interested.

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

This is one that I snapped from my iPhone this morning. I'll post more soon.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.