BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Noticed this when I was returning from the ski trip on I70 today. I didn't want to brake that much, but had to sometimes when i was running too fast even without giving it much gas at all, as it was mostly downhill. During one stretch of steep slope, I had to brake a bit hard 'cause I was running close to 90 before i realized it. And right at that time I saw the tachometer jumped and remained at the high level (4 - 5) for a while before returning back to 2 -3 after the car really slowed down to below 80. Surprised, I began to check the engine speed whenever I had to brake and it happened a few times more and not always.

My questions to all your E60 owners out there:
1. has anyone else seen the same?
2. is this the expected behavior?

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
I've had it happen on my 535i. Cruising the interstate in mountains of West Virginia. With Cruise set on 65-70 and coming down long incline, the car naturally wanted to speed up. WIth cruise set at 70, the trans downshifted to keep speed under control. Took a little getting used to, but its actually a pretty nice feature.

I was heading 70 to 68 through Cumberland, MD, West VA, and into southwest PA. There are some really long downhill grades along those interstates. Beautiful drive.

·
Tar Heel Faithful
14,127 Posts
Its normal function for the transmission. I've never had something as extreme as you but you're in Denver where the gradients are steeper in general, so it's not surprising.

You may use cruise control to maintain your speed if desired. The standard Dynamic Cruise control will automatically apply the brakes (without cancelling cruise) to keep your stored speed in check.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts