BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While still waiting for my ED confirmation, it's not too late to change the config.

About interior color - I picked Monaco Blue with Creamy Beige. It looks beautiful, but the interior color is so light that I'm afraid it'llbe difficult to keep it clean, since I have 2 young kids (5 and 7). Personally I don't like dark-out/dark-in combination, so the only choice else is gray. To my surprise, among all of the new cars at the local dealer, there is not a single BMW with gray interior. Has any of you ordered and at least seen the gray color? is it darker or as light as creamy beige?

About satellite radio - I know it works in an open space, what about in-garage or in-city? My GPS sometime loses signals, I assume it's the same in sat radio.

Thank you for your inputs.

·
Registered
831 Posts
The pre LCI grey interior is very light. That's what I have. I share your concern with keeping such a light color clean. We'll see how it goes.

The LCI grey is darker. I would have preferred this color interior if it was an option. My dealer had one on the lot, and I looked at it with the specific question in my mind of whether it would be easy to keep clean. Looked perfect to me. I've heard the cream beige takes some work to keep it clean (as does the Monaco Blue exterior). I would definitely go with the grey over the cream beige, but that's me.

But if I were getting Monaco Blue, I would also seriously consider Natural Brown interior.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have the Monaco Blue/cream interior and two small children (4 and 18 mos). It is a great combination. I haven't had an issue so far but I have been able to enforce a strict "no food" rule. We will see how a family road trip goes. I've had light color interiors before and didn't have an issue.

Buy some good quality leather cleaner and protector and stay on top of messes. Go to a furniture store or a tack store for the best quality stuff.

·
Registered
831 Posts
About satellite radio - I know it works in an open space, what about in-garage or in-city? My GPS sometime loses signals, I assume it's the same in sat radio.
Correct, you need open sky. In fact, it's quite sensitive: you will momentarily lose reception when passing under a small overpass.

I have Sat radio. I've just started using it, so perhaps I'll change my mind, but so far I'm not really impressed. The music repeats quite often. Each channel is just a big loop of songs. Not sure how often they update the loop.

I was also listening to some news channels on my way home from work yesterday. When I switched to them, 4 out of 5 of the channels were playing commercials. I'm really confused because I thought Sirius was commercial free. The best part was when the commercials announced something like "call this number now ..." it would actually print the phone number out on the iDrive display in case I wanted to call it. That's not exactly the direction I wanted to see my commercial free broadcasting go.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Correct, you need open sky. In fact, it's quite sensitive: you will momentarily lose reception when passing under a small overpass.

I have Sat radio. I've just started using it, so perhaps I'll change my mind, but so far I'm not really impressed. The music repeats quite often. Each channel is just a big loop of songs. Not sure how often they update the loop.

I was also listening to some news channels on my way home from work yesterday. When I switched to them, 4 out of 5 of the channels were playing commercials. I'm really confused because I thought Sirius was commercial free. The best part was when the commercials announced something like "call this number now ..." it would actually print the phone number out on the iDrive display in case I wanted to call it. That's not exactly the direction I wanted to see my commercial free broadcasting go.
ditto on sat. but I do use it (and not shy about changing channels) when on the open road. I am reading here that HD is better than sat.
I have always had black interior in my cars especially when the kids were young and it always looked good and was easy to clean, especially the BMWs. I too got tired of the dark interior and got 2007 gray interior w/ gray poplar, silver gray exterior and I really love the combo. The gray only has 3000 miles but is looking very good with little up keep. I have beige in the 530i and it requires much more attention. Also, agree that the newer darker gray is nicer. I really have not seen beige or gray interior that looked great after 50k miles.

Good luck with the no food rule....I lost that argument - now my fight is with my teen who insists on putting on her makeup on the way to scholl...yikes.

·
Freude am Fahren
19,695 Posts
No one (incl Sirius) claims the news stations are commercial free.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I have the Monaco Blue with the beige interior. The combination is very nice but even without youngsters the seats get dirty. I might have gone with the brown if it was avaiable (in hindsight).

The Sirius radio reception is far inferior to XM. I've had my car in numerous times complaining about the reception. They've replaced the antenna and controller to no avail and the BMW NA person admitted that it is about as good as it can get. I added an XM receiver via the aux input and never have dropouts on XM.

The Sirius reception drops out under trees and some overpasses. Forget garages!:thumbdwn:

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for all of your tips. I think I'm about to change the interior from beige to grey. Sat radio? Not sure at this moment.

·
Love the 'Fest
731 Posts
IMO:

Satellite radio is only good if you want it for non-music stations (like cable news or comedy). The compression rates on satellite radio are so high that music quality simply stinks. It's like listening to an MP3 that was ripped at a very low bit rate. It's how they stuff so many channels into their lineup. I think it's a total sham for music.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Is the cream beige interior a lighter color for the 08 than the 07? My dealer does not have a cream beige to look at but some of the press pics show a very light color. I need to take a second look at the grey too if its darker than the 07 color.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I have found that the problem of dropped signal is less frequent in urban areas where they have ground repeaters. XM does seem to do a better job of this though.
From the Sirius web site FAQ:
Why has my radio lost its signal?
While we do have an extensive network of ground repeaters (towers that rebroadcast our satellite signal to help give maximum coverage) in many metropolitan areas, factors such as microwaves and physical obstruction (bridges and tunnels) can still temporarily disrupt your radio***8217;s reception.

However, this problem is largely held at bay by the four-second buffer created by slight broadcasting delays between our two satellites orbiting over the continental United States and our extensive ground network of repeaters.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Don't waste your $$ on SAT, it sounds like pure ****e. Compression artifacts are clearly evident in music, might as well listen to a cat meowing in a tin box.

Get HD radio instead, far better investment in the long term. Only 1 initial payment and stations will continue to fire up their HD broadcasts as it gets more traction.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Commercial free...

On SIRIUS only the music channels are commercial free. Once you get into the news, comedy and talk channels you'll get really annoying commercials that are repeated every 10 minutes or so... but I think its still better to listen to that on long trips than having to tune in 10 different radio stations...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Going out on a limb... but I like my Sirius sat. But yes, it does drop out under heavy tree cover and such. XM may indeed be better but I am not unhappy with the offering I tend to listen to (often not music.. for which I prefer my ipod).

·
Registered
171 Posts
Is the cream beige interior a lighter color for the 08 than the 07? My dealer does not have a cream beige to look at but some of the press pics show a very light color. I need to take a second look at the grey too if its darker than the 07 color.
Yes, the cream beige is lighter than the beige in the '07 models. Consider it dark white! :rofl:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Forgot to add.. I also got cream beige on my jet black 528xi. I have 5yr and 3yr old children. Guess I may be asking for trouble but it sure looks nice now.

I think the Monaco Blue with the cream beige will look great too :D

·
Registered
277 Posts
IMO...if you have an iPod, dump Sat. Radio get a HD and iPod adapter combo. Sat radio is OK, but I find that the selection of music is limited to a few channels I like, which even on those channels I don't even like all the music. It also doesn't sound the best and yes, will cut out from time to time like in overpasses, tunnels, ect. Which reallly annoys me.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Is it difficult to switch from Sat radio to HD. If you are wired for one are you wired for the other and it is just a question of programming?

·
Registered
920 Posts
However, this problem is largely held at bay by the four-second buffer created by slight broadcasting delays between our two satellites orbiting over the continental United States and our extensive ground network of repeaters.
If there is a 4 second buffer, and it takes me only two seconds to go under an overpass, why does my signal drop for 2 seconds every time? Sounds like a larger buffer is in order.

·
Registered
920 Posts
The pre LCI grey interior is very light. That's what I have. I share your concern with keeping such a light color clean. We'll see how it goes.

The LCI grey is darker.

Hope that helps.
I have the gray in an '04 530i. Just ordered an '08 53 in Deep Sea Blue with Gray leather. Should I expect it to be darker than the '04? Dealer didn't have any gray on the lot.
And for what do the initials 'LCI' stand?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts