BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Since we did not take a laptop - here is the trip report with pics

Left May 2nd on Lufthansa overnight flight from Dulles and got there around 10:30AM - after clearing customs we found Peter waiting for us with the BMW European Delivery sign. He took us straight to Mariott Munchen and pointed out various sights on the way. We made plans to go to EDC next morning.

Day 1: Munchen - dropped off bags, freshened up and headed out to explore the city - bought the Partner ticket for U-Bahn from the Mariott front desk and walked to the Nordfriedhof U-Bahn and went to Marienplatz. What a delightful place - walked around - went through some shops and headed back. When you get out of the Nordfriedhof U-Bahn station, instead of going left for back to the hotel, make a right and about a block or so away tucked behind the gas station on the right is a very nice Indian restaurant Mehek. Food was awesome - they had lunch specials. Later took the U-Bahn and went for the BMW Munich Factory tour. Our 3 year old fell asleep somewhere at the Paint shop which was kinda halfway so had to carry him for nearly 2km up and down the steps - I still ache thinking about it. The tour was still worth it. Called it a night.

Day 2: Munchen - Peter was waiting in the lobby and we promptly headed to EDC. As we were going in, I think I spotted Car Swami in his blue 3er convertible leaving. Went straight in and Jenny was at the desk - she took my passport and we went up to munch on some breakfast. Asked for the bimmerfest book and saw that guppyflyer and car swami had already picked up the car. As we were finishing up, a gentleman came and we did the paperwork and headed down to see the car. What a sight!! We went through a 15 minute explanation - he added addresses for MADA, hotel and the BMW dealership. As we got out, I saw Rolf dropping off fszatko and his wife. I got out, thanked Rolf and met with fszatco. Headed off to BMW dealership - parked and went accross to ADAC to buy the vignettes and the vest. Walked around the dealership and then headed to MADA. Found EH Harms on upper level and did the paperwork with Thomas and then drove back to hotel. Found parking right in front of the hotel and left the car there till the next day. Took the U-Bahn/Bus to Chinese pagoda Beer garden and had some Curry Wurst/pommes frites and a Stein of Radler (not much of a Beer drinker) Was a great experience.

Day 3: Bolzano - Drove to Bolzano - stopped by Innsbruck to top off tank and do a Pit stop - went through the Italian border where our passports got checked - found the hotel without any problem - parking was 13 Euro and right across in a parking lot for Parkhotel Laurin. Beautiful location - beautiful view. Dropped off our bags and went for a stroll. It is a shoppers paradise - expensive but good stuff.

Day 4: Menaggio - Longest drive took over 5 hours since we stopped a couple of times and it was through the mountains but once again a gorgeous place. Stayed at Grand Hotel Menaggio with free parking in the hotel lot. Awesome location as the ferry goes from next door. Once again dropped off our bags and took the ferry to Bellagio - walked around/shopped - ate and took the last ferry back.

Day 5: Lauterbrunnen - Nav told us to go through Wassen and once we got up the mountain and stopped at a local restaurant to have cup of tea. was told that the pass is closed - so went back down and around towards Luzern - detour cost us an hour but was worth it. Lauterbrunnen is incredible. Stayed at Hotel Silberhorn and had a really beautiful view of the mountain. Free parking out the back of the hotel. Checked in and then headed over to cable car for Schilthorn since Jungfrau was all fogged in and we did not know how clear it would be in the morning. Took the last cable car and in an hour were up 10000 ft. It was about 65 when we started and up there it was snowing and wind was blowing. The revolving restaurant was cool. We had soup, Lasagna and Pomme Frites and it was a great experience. Drove back to the hotel, parked and then walked around. Had pizza for dinner which was really good.

Day 6: Luzern - Checked Jungfrau in the morning and it was all still foggy so skipped that and then just drove down the valley and walked up to the Staubbach falls - path up to the falls was closed so strolled around and then got back on the road on the way to Luzern. An hour and a half later checked in to Art Deco Hotel Montana. Free parking in the front of the hotel. The shortest cable car in the workd as claimed takes you down from their lobby to the street level down by the waterfront. Very convenient walk to the old town and the train station. Once again beautiful city. Strolled around and soaked in the sights. Tried to get the ferry excursion but the shortest one they had was 2 hour and we did not want to be in there for that long. Were too late for the Golden pass.

Day 7: Luzern/Munchen - Got ready - had awesome breakfast - took the cable car down and walked around for a couple of hours. Got back on the Autobahn for drive back to Munchen. Went thorugh the Austrian border and our passports checked and the border police guy asked if we were taking the car back to states - apparently he knew. About 120Km south of Munich - were in germany by this time - we pulled in to a rest area. As I got out, an old 5 series with two guys parked next to me and were staring at me and the car. I thought maybe because it was a new 5er. The passenger side guy got out, pulled out his badge and asked me for my passport/registeration and drivers license. I was kinda surprised and I gave him the documents and asked if there was a problem - the guy said no just checking. One guy scrutinized my US license using a magnifying glass, the other guy got back in the car with the passports and registeration and got on the phone. They took about 15 minutes and then finally gave me back the documents and drove away with not as much as a sorry or a thank you. Very strange. Rest of the drive back was uneventful. Found a parking spot in front of Mariott and parked the car for the night. Walked once again to Mehek and had a really good dinner.

Day 8: Drop Off - Had already scheduled with Peter to pick us up at 12:00 at Harms for a 3:10PM flight. Got there at 11:30 - since I had already done the paperwork, Thomas came down and took my front licence plate out - I took out the warning triangle and the first aid kit. Went up and did the damage report which there was none to report and were wrapped up in 10 minutes. Peter came on time and dropped us off. He is really a part of the experience and he made the process really smooth. Got back on the plane and arrived back at 6:15 local time Dulles.

Overall an incredible experience. Driving on Autobahn is out of this world. This is the way the car was meant to be driven. the 535xi is incredible - took it up in excess of 200km/h and could not feel a thing. The twin turbo engine is smooth with no gear shifting feel. I would not do this without the NAV - a definite must have. The comfort seats are also a must have. I had a Kingston 2Gb memory stick full of music and I plugged it right in to the USB port. I could see all the songs in the Idrive monitor and choose folders. Worked like a charm. Can't wait for the car to get back!

I have the 2006-02 NAV CD for sale, also the Swiss vignette which is good through the end of the year. PM me if anyone is interested. Thanks for reading!

Pics:
1. Marienplatz
2. 1 Mile on the car!!
3. Wife with the new car
4. Driving it out through the narrow opening
5. In front of Marriott Munchen with Car in the background with my 3 year old
6. Parkhotel Larin Blozano
7. Schilthorn snowing with the revolving reataurant in the background
8. Snowy mountain view from the cable car
9. View of the Lauterbrunnen valley below
10. Audi R8 in Luzern
11. Hotel Montana from street level
12. 899 miles at dropoff

Attachments

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
More Pics

Last of the pics:

1. Natural Brown interior with Anthracite Headliner - very nice interior
2. Parked at Harms
3. Another view of the final resting spot.
4. Panoramic view of Luzern

Attachments

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Great write-up, sounds like your trip was as much fun as ours! After looking at your pics, it looked a little chilly at the Piz Gloria. When we were planning our trip we had 4 different itineraries in mind (Austria, Switzerland, Rhine + Alsace, or Paris and Normandy). We didn't have a real favorite, so we put the names in a hat and let the kids pick one. If they would have picked Switzerland, we'd have been up at the Jungfrau in bad weather. I guess the girls picked well.

The car looks great, let's hope they get here quickly! I have to laugh....I showed the wife your pics, and right away she remembers you carrying your little one through the tour. I must have been so wrapped in watching the assembly process I didn't notice! Must be a mom thing.

Erik

·
Alpina Addict
1,362 Posts
Nav told us to go through Wassen and once we got up the mountain and stopped at a local restaurant to have cup of tea. was told that the pass is closed
Strange... did you possibly have the TMC (RTT) feature disabled or no Swiss radio station (like DRS1) tuned? The Susten pass is still closed right now, and I've just checked before on my own car: The pass is still listed as closed on my NAV too, so the system would automatically suggest an alternative route. Others ED'ers have reported that their RTT feature worked well in Europe too. :dunno:

BTW check out the James Bond movie 'On Her Majesty's Secret Service' - the villain Blofeld's 'residence' might look quite familiar. :)

·
Registered
301 Posts
First, congrats on the car and thanks for the great writeup and pics.

Day 5: Lauterbrunnen - Lauterbrunnen is incredible. Stayed at Hotel Silberhorn and had a really beautiful view of the mountain. Free parking out the back of the hotel.
I agree … We also had a great time in Lauterbrunnen. The Silberhorn was super… Great food... and what nice people running it.

Checked in and then headed over to cable car for Schilthorn since Jungfrau was all fogged in and we did not know how clear it would be in the morning. Took the last cable car and in an hour were up 10000 ft. It was about 65 when we started and up there it was snowing and wind was blowing.
Too bad the Jungfrau was fogged in. I had the same problem in 1988 but it was a clear day last April when I got to go to the top. Was spectacular. Sounds like you had a fun experience at the Schilthorn.

walked up to the Staubbach falls - path up to the falls was closed so strolled around and then got back on the road on the way to Luzern.
I was also disappointed the path to Staubbach falls was closed. We continued on and walked to the Trummelbach falls. That was worth it.

Went thorugh the Austrian border and our passports checked and the border police guy asked if we were taking the car back to states - apparently he knew. .
My daughter was driving when we went through Austrian border.. She didn’t have her drivers license (I forgot to ask for it back when I checked out of hotel in Venice). Fortunately she just got waved through….

I would not do this without the NAV - a definite must have.
I agree … Well worth the price of adding it to the car…

Great trip…now the long wait for it to be redelivered.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Strange... did you possibly have the TMC (RTT) feature disabled or no Swiss radio station (like DRS1) tuned? The Susten pass is still closed right now, and I've just checked before on my own car: The pass is still listed as closed on my NAV too, so the system would automatically suggest an alternative route. Others ED'ers have reported that their RTT feature worked well in Europe too. :dunno:

BTW check out the James Bond movie 'On Her Majesty's Secret Service' - the villain Blofeld's 'residence' might look quite familiar. :)
Interesting - I did not fiddle with the RTT much so not sure about whether it was working correctly or not - will check it out when it gets back. They advertised "James Bond movie location" all the way up to Schilthorn.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts