BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, if you have read my other post, I am looking to buy a 2001 540 6spd with 30K miles.

I want better than stock performance. List your more rewarding mods. Please if you dont mind include a rough cost for the mod.

This forum is great. Other forums Ive been too are no where near as friendly.

Thanks in advance for the imput. Im going to keep reading about your (hopefully soon to be our) ride...

·
just havin a heart attack
2,741 Posts
Here's what i've done that i'm happy with. an LSD is going to be the best investment any of us will make with the 540's.

- SSK from www.understeer.com
- CDV Delete (this should be your first mod with a manual E39)
- Magnaflow/Random Tech cats if yours go out. (pre '99 might work better for this since we don't have pre-cats)
- replacement muffler or full cat-back exhaust if you so desire. Hear that beautiful V8 sing.
- some brand of software, some say it does a lot....some disagree. I disagree until someone takes me for a ride in their similar 98 540i-6-spd and tells me different.
- <'99 larger intake manifold.....I think franka knows a bit about what this can do
- Then you could always slap on a supercharger and call it a day.

The biggest bottlenecks in the M62's are the heads and headers. A supercharger would bring you to about 410hp at the crank....and adding heads/headers to that would give you about 475-500 if done correctly. Talks with a BMW shop around here have said that heads/headers/cams/cats/exhaust with the right software would yield between 350-400hp. Basically you'd have a baby M5. Bore and stroke it and you end up with a 4.6.4.8 540iS. Supercharger is the easy way out, but where's the fun in that? I'd MUCH rather say "yeah it's a 540 with some light engine mods. 375hp on the motor."

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response Bimmerd00d...

Could you tell me what a CDV delete is...i'll do a quick search in the mean time...

And as far as the heads go...I remember seeing headers for like $3K...

How much is it to change the heads...and where can I do more research on that mod. I havent seen too many people on here mess with the heads...

·
just havin a heart attack
2,741 Posts
Thanks for the response Bimmerd00d...

Could you tell me what a CDV delete is...i'll do a quick search in the mean time...

And as far as the heads go...I remember seeing headers for like $3K...

How much is it to change the heads...and where can I do more research on that mod. I havent seen too many people on here mess with the heads...
Heads, www.stettperformance.com. He's who i was speaking with and he has a few he's working on. He might slap them on my car to see what they do. He's also going to get the headers started here shorly as well. CDV = Clutch Delay Valve. Basically, if you can properly drive a manual you should remove this. If you're under warranty, you'll want to get a hollowed one from www.zeckhausen.com so when they look they still see it. If you're not under warranty, just remove it. www.bmwtips.com has some guides for this.

·
Registered
567 Posts
CDV was helpful best money/usefulness out there.

All I have other than that for performance in Chip and Exhaust. Chip helped a little on throttle response, doesn't really feel much faster though. A cold air intake would probably help the benefits of the chip. The few extra hundred RPM and the delimited top speed is nice though.

The exhaust it fun as well. Again, doesn't seem to do much as far as speed, but I do love listening to it.

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
+1 on MagnaFlow exhaust.

·
Mmm...Reeeeed
187 Posts
What exactly does the CDV removal do when you're shifting? Does it make the transition from one gear to the next easier or is it something else?

·
Freude am Fahren
2,400 Posts
CDV delete
SSK (I used a Rogue)
RP sycromax in the trans (love that feel and the "snick,snick" sfifts)
Euro console install (replaced that stupid phone slot w/ the tilt-top bin)

·
E30 Maniac
2,461 Posts
CDV delete
SSK (I used a Rogue)
RP sycromax in the trans (love that feel and the "snick,snick" sfifts)
Euro console install (replaced that stupid phone slot w/ the tilt-top bin)
I'd agree with the first three. don't see how euro console is a performance upgrade however :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts