BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Oscar
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well this morning I turned on the 540, put it in reverse, went about a foot and car died. I am now getting Engine failsafe prog and Trans failsafe prog and the temp gauge moves into the red after a few seconds. Everything seems to be working but car will not crank or do anything, as if the starter was removed. I have ran diagnostics and here is the following codes that came back for IKE:
246 Data connection to drive and running-gear-control modules (CAN Bus)
247 Data connection to drive and running-gear-control modules (CAN Bus)
248 Data connection to drive and running-gear-control modules (CAN Bus)
251 Data connection to drive and running-gear-control modules (CAN Bus)

Anyone ever had this happen before?

I did a search and found only one person that had a faulty MAF, but their situation was a little different.

I am trying to save a little bit of $$ by fixing it on the spot and not having it towed.

Also, diagnostic is unable to communicate with DME.

Any ideas would be helpful.

· looking for a car
2,741 Posts
Well this morning I turned on the 540, put it in reverse, went about a foot and car died. I am now getting Engine failsafe prog and Trans failsafe prog and the temp gauge moves into the red after a few seconds. Everything seems to be working but car will not crank or do anything, as if the starter was removed. I have ran diagnostics and here is the following codes that came back for IKE:
246 Data connection to drive and running-gear-control modules (CAN Bus)
247 Data connection to drive and running-gear-control modules (CAN Bus)
248 Data connection to drive and running-gear-control modules (CAN Bus)
251 Data connection to drive and running-gear-control modules (CAN Bus)

Anyone ever had this happen before?

I did a search and found only one person that had a faulty MAF, but their situation was a little different.

I am trying to save a little bit of $$ by fixing it on the spot and not having it towed.

Also, diagnostic is unable to communicate with DME.

Any ideas would be helpful.
damn oscar that doesnt sound good. why dont you ask your bro? hed probably kno more then anyone on the site.......cmon now.

on the other end i finally got my **** running right. 17mpg in the city ftmfw!!!!!

· Registered
443 Posts
Similar problem, another board, last post in the thread:

UPDATE: Finally took it into the dealer. It was Fuse #1 (in with the DME). Replaced and all is well.

Don't know if this will help you, but it might be worth looking in to.

· Oscar
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
damn oscar that doesnt sound good. why dont you ask your bro? hed probably kno more then anyone on the site.......cmon now.

on the other end i finally got my **** running right. 17mpg in the city ftmfw!!!!!
I have asked him, he was the one that helped me out over the phone to check alot of stuff and various modules. He told me he can fix it, but he needs to diagnose it first and wants me to have the car towed to his house. I was just trying to save some $$ on the towing by asking to see if anyone else has had this problem in the past before I have it towed this weekend.

The avarage towing price is $150 which I could save and use towards parts if someone has had this problem before.

Good to hear you got things working. I will have the diagnostic computer with me this weekend if you need to use it or clear out any faults. Let me know.

· Oscar
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Similar problem, another board, last post in the thread:

UPDATE: Finally took it into the dealer. It was Fuse #1 (in with the DME). Replaced and all is well.

Don't know if this will help you, but it might be worth looking in to.
Good to know, I have already checked the fuses but I didn't know there were additional fuses in the DME. I will check, this might explain why diagnostic can't communicate with DME.

Thanks, keep it comming guys.

· looking for a car
2,741 Posts
I have asked him, he was the one that helped me out over the phone to check alot of stuff and various modules. He told me he can fix it, but he needs to diagnose it first and wants me to have the car towed to his house. I was just trying to save some $$ on the towing by asking to see if anyone else has had this problem in the past before I have it towed this weekend.

The avarage towing price is $150 which I could save and use towards parts if someone has had this problem before.

Good to hear you got things working. I will have the diagnostic computer with me this weekend if you need to use it or clear out any faults. Let me know.
get taht U-haul ****. its like $30 an hour. :D

or do what my dad did. tie a chain to the car and drag it behind you in nuetral.

:rofl:

· Oscar
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
get taht U-haul ****. its like $30 an hour. :D

or do what my dad did. tie a chain to the car and drag it behind you in nuetral.

:rofl:
That's actually not a bad idea..the uhaul thing, but it won't work. How the hell am I going to push the car up ramp. I need a wench!:mad:

· Oscar
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
AAA $123 to tow 100 miles is cheaper but I was looking more at under $100.

Well talking to my brother is looks like I might have a bad thermostat. I will need to disconnect the thermostat, check to see which DME fuse needs to be replaced and then run diagnostics again to see if I can communicate with DME or EGS. If I can communicate with DME then plug the thermostat back in and see if it pops the fuse. Re-run diagnostics again and realign DME before the car will start.

I will keep you guys posted.

· Oscar
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

· Oscar
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Got the car started this morning. Busted fuse where the DME and EGS are located under the passenger side air filter. I replaced the fuse and then the car started, car drove great, but under closer inspection looks like the thermostat is going bad (which could be why the fuse blew). Parts was closed, so Tuesday is the soonest I can get a new thermostat. I took some pics and will post soon.

· looking for a car
2,741 Posts
Got the car started this morning. Busted fuse where the DME and EGS are located under the passenger side air filter. I replaced the fuse and then the car started, car drove great, but under closer inspection looks like the thermostat is going bad (which could be why the fuse blew). Parts was closed, so Tuesday is the soonest I can get a new thermostat. I took some pics and will post soon.
alright oscar, we both have our cars running right now, how about a frickin DFW meet. cmon man. im waiting on you.

· Registered
62 Posts
I had the same thing happen

My car is at the dealer right now for this same problem.

The car wouldnt start.
The dealer told me that I had to replace the Fuel Pump and Filter.
Then he came back and said I need to change the DME Main Computer System as well as the Thermostat and Wire Harness.
Im new to car formus and have owned my '01 540I for a year.

Couple of questions:
Did you replace the DME?
Where was the fuse for the DME? In the glovebox?
Did you replace the Thermostat?
Does anyone know a BMW repairman they trust in or arounf Atlanta?
Where can i read up about my 2001 540I?
Where can i get a manual (like the Hayes Manuals) to do repairs?

Thanks in advance for pointing me into the right direction

-David

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.