BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So with all the attention being given recently to "Global Warming," I've been thinking about my HUGE gas consumption in my 540 sport. According to my computer, I get about 13.5mpg in town (LA).

On the highway it's better. Does everyone else get about the same? Maybe 200 miles per tank in town if I'm lucky!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Ouch! That hurts...
I drive a 530 and get 22mpg average and I can easily go 350 miles of city driving in a tank.

Lately we have been having a gas shortage here. I had to drive around 4 gas stations to find some gas. All of them said that they only have regular and diesel left.

Inline 6 has been friendly to me since its around $3.35/gal for premium here.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I drive my 540iA 20% city, 40% highway and 40% country backroads and average around 22-23 mpg. i get close to 400 miles/tankful.

·
Registered
132 Posts
yep, ditto on 22-23mpg

·
Registered
43 Posts
Its all about how you drive. If you use a heavy foot the car will suck gas like no tomorrow.

Light foot-22-24mpg

Heavy foot-11-13 low teens

·
just havin a heart attack
2,741 Posts
haven't ever seen below 15, even when im hauling arse on the backroads. Check the o2 sensors. Run the codes, it's probably running pretty rich.

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
The 540iA Sport gets worse mileage than the non-sport and manual with an estimated 15/21 mpg rating (vs. the non-sport at 18/24 and the manual at 15/23). A 2003 540iA Sport might get slightly better city mileage because they did something that year to up the city mileage rating to 17, but those ratings don't take into consideration "real world" driving conditions, how light or heavy footed the driver is, summer or winter gas blends, etc.

For the fuel mileage ratings of a car by year, make and model, see http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/findacar.htm

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
bernielike said:
So with all the attention being given recently to "Global Warming," I've been thinking about my HUGE gas consumption in my 540 sport. According to my computer, I get about 13.5mpg in town (LA).

On the highway it's better. Does everyone else get about the same? Maybe 200 miles per tank in town if I'm lucky!
I recommend that when people explain their personal gas mileage they also try and describe their driving conditions. I always see threads where people get worried and begin to spend money trying to mimic the gas mileage of other board members but you will never get the same gas mileage being in traffic most of the time compared to people who cruise on 2-3 lane suburban road with 50mph speed limits. I'll explain........

I get the same mileage. It's all about driving conditions and we have real "city" driving where as some of the other board member live in suburbia where they cruise 5-6 miles before getting to a traffic light. in NYC, I'm lucky if I can travel 500 feet before getting to a traffic light.

Think about it, if the EPA rates the city mileage at 17 mpg and they're known to be extremely optimistic then 13.5 is not bad assuming you stretch out the gears here an there.

It's funny to me when people say that they get 22mpg city driving in a car that is rated OPTIMISTICALLY to get 17. The only way that's feasible is if you drive downhill to and from home. It's quite obvious that your driving conditions aren't consistent with city driving as its defined by the EPA and as most of us know it. Just because your driving around your neighborhood that doesn't make it city driving. If your city driving is just like the highway except for a lower speed limit and a traffic light every 5 miles then it's not really city driving.

We should start calling that "suburban driving".

·
prehistoric bony fish
385 Posts
For LA city driving that seems about right. My buddy with a 2001 540i (automatic) gets about 14 mpg also driving around LA.

The 6 speed guys get a lot better mileage. Around LA my mpg isn't that great, probably around 15, but cruising in 6th gear on the freeway (when there's no traffic) I probably get closer to 26.

For all driving I average 22 mpg, which is mostly highway.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
coelacanth said:
For LA city driving that seems about right. My buddy with a 2001 540i (automatic) gets about 14 mpg also driving around LA.

The 6 speed guys get a lot better mileage. Around LA my mpg isn't that great, probably around 15, but cruising in 6th gear on the freeway (when there's no traffic) I probably get closer to 26.

For all driving I average 22 mpg, which is mostly highway.
Makes perfect sense, very accurate description that gives a reference point.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
dagoo98 said:
I recommend that when people explain their personal gas mileage they also try and describe their driving conditions. I always see threads where people get worried and begin to spend money trying to mimic the gas mileage of other board members but you will never get the same gas mileage being in traffic most of the time compared to people who cruise on 2-3 lane suburban road with 50mph speed limits. I'll explain........

I get the same mileage. It's all about driving conditions and we have real "city" driving where as some of the other board member live in suburbia where they cruise 5-6 miles before getting to a traffic light. in NYC, I'm lucky if I can travel 500 feet before getting to a traffic light.".
Yes - true. LA city driving is unlike driving the burbs! Lots of stop and go ALL the time EVERYWHERE. And a 540 is heavy, so each time you start from 0 . . . well, you guys get it.

And referencing my "heavy foot" -- I actually have been being very "good" lately and trying to stretch the mileage -- I came UP to 13.5 from 12mpg. I'm trying new "techniques" -- maybe I can reach 14mpg with a lot of coasting, or using the tiptronic :rolleyes:

At least now I know I'm not that far below normal. I get great mileage on the (when they are open) freeways often in the high 20's. Except when I go from 60 - 100 in like 3 seconds. God that's fun tho.

To all you other gas guzzlers like me, I recommend buying some carbon credits. For a hundred bucks you can completely erace your "carbon imprint" and then some by funding green energy sources. So even though you drive that monster instead of a Prius or something you can do your part to improve the atmosphere. That way you can drive fast and at least you offset the damage you do.

·
Registered
52 Posts
80% of my driving is in town, and my town seems to have a stop sign every 2-4 blocks. I average 19mpg. On the freeway, I get 26-30mpg (yes 30 mpg on a 400 mile trip, that's amazing from a v8)

at 12 mpg, you've got something that can probably be fixed

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I get around 12-15 around town too. NYC and LA probably have very similar driving conditions. I don't think your town in Minnesota falls into that category.

I also get about 26-30 mpg on the freeway. I get at least 450 miles to the tank if I'm on the highway.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok . . .

I think my 13.5 seems right on in LA driving (where EVERY block has a stop sign or light almost!) -- but I'll get the o2 mix checked next time I'm at the dealer (I'm CPO).

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
bernielike said:

I get worse. 11.8 mpg. I would attribute this to my aggressive driving style and the idiotically rigged and horribly timed system that passes for traffic lights these days (major three lane streets in rush hour traffic go red so one car on a side street can make a left hand turn, lights are timed so that every other light is green/red, so traffic never gets flowing and is always stopped behind a light :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: ) On the freeway I get excellent mileage (24mpg+), unless it's stop and go traffic.

·
Registered
637 Posts
i have a problem with my right foot being heavier than my left also, but mileage in the city really sux! im getting ~11.5 mpg in the city. highway i'll get 25-28mpg.:cry:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts