BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the E39 high speed shimmy and replaced the large control arms with Bavarian AutoSport's urethane bushing. That solved most of the problem but I still hear a knock in the left front at low speeds when backing up or applying the brakes. The steering feels very loose when driving and the car tends to wander a bit. It has 72K miles and the brakes were all new at 60K and no warped rotors. The car is stock except for after market 17 inch wheels and stock tires.

Any ideas as to what is happening? I've read where the V8s are hard on the front end of these cars and wonder if I'm better off changing the tie rod ends, and smaller control arms??? What is the front strut life on these cars and is 72K miles a good time to change struts?

Thanks in advance for ideas or suggestions...

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
With a similar car, I can only give my own experience. The knock when braking needs to be found, can be lots of things. May be be related to supension or have nothing to do with it.

In these cars the rear suspension is actually more complicated than the front and could be the source of wandering. Certain tire commonly cause tramling which gives a wandering feeling.

Bad tires or a slightly bent wheel are often the source of vibrations. Wheels typically bend on the inside and very mild bends and are hard to detect unless spun on a balancing machine. 2 lightly bent wheels were the source of a vibration that took me a year to find.

On my car at 60K the front thrust arms were changed. At 100K I just completely rebuilt the rear suspension a few weeks ago. It was not totally gone but a few parts were and just decided to do it all at once (one alignment).

Hope this helps.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.