BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my trans oil cooler is shot:bawling: and Im replacing it but been wondering if anyone has tried an after market version thats superior to the OE with a stock or close too stock fitment. Any suggestions guys:dunno:. I dont want something thats not gonna fit right unless its really good and someone can vouch for it. THX

·
Registered
811 Posts
Whenever I replace a transmission cooler, I stick with OEM. The OEM cooler sits on the condenser frame housing. It is very tight, and it seems that you would have trouble putting in an aftermarket cooler since there is no room for play. Another problem is the connectors, they are BMW specific, and nobody has them besides BMW.
Why not buy a used cooler that has low miles and and drive the car for another 150k?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cause with used it can go at any time.. and i dont wanna change it twice, gonna change the radiator ps cooler and trans cooler also lights all in 1 shot.

·
Registered
811 Posts
These coolers generally do not go bad. The only time they can go bad is when they are not clipped in fully into the condenser frame housing and rub up against the frame rail. The power steering cooler is the same thing, it does not go bad just like that. If you have coolers going bad on you that often, you will need a new plastic frame housing. I have never replaced a cooler that went bad due to normal wear and tear, it is always that it was damaged in an accident, or it was not fully clipped in and rubbed a hole through the line.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well i put in 5 qts of trans oil n its all over the city now. leaked BADLY. one day it just went out, and i thought it was p/s because the p/s pump was bad and ready to be replaced. so i did that but the leak now was in one spot instead of 2. and traced it to trans cooler. vener been in accident but i see that it is shot from the bottom. im just doing the p/s lines cause i bought a dul cooler thats made for both, so y not do both. at least i know its done and shouldnt have issues with either or.. thx for the reply, i will check on sat when i tear the car down wuts locked in right and wutz not n will let u kno if u were right.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Where does the trans oil cooler mount? I bought a car with one just zip tied to the bottom of the radiator. I have no clue where it mounts. Anyone have a picture of where it goes?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts