BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone off hand know what size speakers are in my 540 so I dont have to pull the door off twice. I have a non-DSP. 3 on each of the front doors (high, mid, low), 1 mid on the rear doors, and no idea what size the rear are. want to upgrade the speakers but dunno the size.. and yes i've been to stereo places but the sizes arent in the book.

help I need some better sound!

·
Learning all the time
545 Posts
I believe they are all 5 1/4 in (130 mm)

·
Registered
6,925 Posts
The alleged "bass" speakers are 5.25" all around. The midrange are standard sized. If you get a component set of replacement speakers, the mid should be a close swap but you'll probably have to modify the mid speaker holder. I had to for Infinity 5030cs in my front door. I also replaced the rear deck speakers, which have a depth limit (~2.25"). Crutchfield claims 1-3/4" but the OEM is 2.25" deep, which increases the field of choice. Replacing the speakers will increase volume (w/o distortion), definition and clarity but does little for the low end. Hence, it will still sound wanting.

Before you replace the door speakers, try a powered subwoofer. That will transform the sound into something much more palatable. I put in a Blaupunkt THB 200A into my rear armrest pocket and it has made a HUGE difference. This was a very easy install, does not affect trunk space and can easily be removed to carry a 5th passenger. Search my DIY. Otherwise PM me and I'll send you the DIY.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
1 - 4 of 4 Posts