BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My rotors were replaced in March 2006, and is still under warranty. My mechanic advised that another E39 owner (530i) had rotor problems as well, but after switching to "Frozen Rotors", he no longer experiences warped rotors. He suggested ordering those...

Not too long ago, someone here replaced their rotors with these:

I'm thinking of switching to these, but what rotors do you guys recommend for the 540i?

The rotors are still under warranty, so my mechanic is going to warranty the labor and the price of the rotors ($150). I'm looking to spend around that much for the replacement rotors.

·
Registered
80 Posts
i have those on my car, and they are great. GO to Dave Z's website (maybe we should call him Dr.Z) and he has all the info on there.

·
Registered
8,775 Posts
Go to stoptech.com and read about the fantasy of warped rotors. Do yourself a favor and read it before you make any decisions.

I believe there is a link to Stop Tech on Dr Z's web site.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts

·
Registered
8,775 Posts
Lets all bow now in adoration.

·
Registered
8,775 Posts
Stop tech says rotors do not warp.

If you look at a "warped" rotor it will have alternating dark and light spots on the braking surface. The rotor looks like it's warped. It looks like the pads were hitting only the high spots. But if you actually measure the runout the rotor is flat. The dark spots are where the pad material is embedded in the rotor and causes the pads to pulsate as they run across them. The StopTech article explains how you can fix this simply by applying your brakes as they suggest. It's a little rountine that evenly embeds the rotor with pad material.

I strongly suggest you do this before replacing your pads and rotors.

Dealers and independents will gladly tell you it's warped and show you the alternating spots. You look at it, it looks warped, and agree to new pads and rotors. The new ones work great and you think your mechanic is great.

The dealer has just flim flammed you and you agreed.

Read and follow the StopTech article on bedding in brakes. It's long but don't give up. It works on new brakes and old brakes that are pulsing and pulling.

You can thank me later.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.