BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am newbie in bmws V8 area. But Iam very interesting in how to add more horse power to m62.
If someone knows how to stroker m62b44 engine to 4.8l.
I have stroked m50b25 to 2.8l. Its simble becouse parts are bolt-on staff.
I think is possiple to do 4.8l by using m5 crankshaft, connecting rods and taller sylinder head gasket technicly, if m5 crankshaft fits in the m62b44 engine block.

..sorry my baaad english :)

·
X
227 Posts
<- interested :)

·
Registered
8,775 Posts
The M5 and the 540 are different motors. The M5 is not a bored and stroked 540.

·
Underdog On Top
176 Posts
The M5 and the 540 are different motors. The M5 is not a bored and stroked 540.
Of course its a different motor . . . but is it not pretty much just a bored/stroked M62 w/ a fire-breathing head, intake/exhaust? :dunno:

Courtesy of Wykepedia:

The S62's V-8 block shares the M62's basic architecture but with 94.0 mm (3.7 in) cylinder bores vs. the M62's 92.0. The stroke is increased from 82.7 mm to 89.0 mm (3.5 in) significantly improving torque. This results in a displacement of 4941 cc, or approximately 5 liters (301 cu in).

Compared to 4.4-liter M62 power plant fitted to the E39 540i, the S62 V8 engine has been extensively modified by BMW M in the following areas:

Increased bore to 94mm (from 92mm) and increased stroke to 89mm (from 82.7mm) for a total displacement of 4,941cc (up from 4,398cc)
Increased compression to 11.0:1 (from 10.0:1)
Individual electronically-controlled throttle bodies for each cylinder with M Driving Dynamics two-stage control (via the "Sport" button)
Double VANOS continuously-variable valve timing on both the intake and exhaust strokes
Bosch Motronic port fuel injection
Siemens MSS 52 digital engine control system
Three-layer steel head gaskets
Dual air induction system
Modified cylinder heads
Hollow nodular iron camshafts
High-capacity water pump
Duplex chain drive for the intake cams
Oil-cooled pistons unique to each cylinder bank
G-force-sensitive lubrication system with two scavenging pumps, one for each cylinder bank
Coolant to oil heat exchanger for engine cooling
Free-flow exhaust with dual catalytic converters and four exhaust tips

·
Registered
8,775 Posts
Its a different block and head casting. Its different in all ways with maybe a few minor details. All major componets are not shared with the 540 nor are they related to the 540. They are different motors.

Has anyone heard of swapping on a set of M5 heads or maybe the intake manifold and throttle bodies or MAFs onto a 540?

·
Underdog On Top
176 Posts
Its a different block and head casting. Its different in all ways with maybe a few minor details. All major componets are not shared with the 540 nor are they related to the 540. They are different motors.

Has anyone heard of swapping on a set of M5 heads or maybe the intake manifold and throttle bodies or MAFs?
Sometimes BMW cranks and rods can be used in "different" engines to create strokers. Very popular w/ the 6 cyl motors. I think the OP is hoping this is possible w/ the S62/M62.

A possibly easier/better choice to source stroker parts would be the M62B46 motor.

·
Registered
8,775 Posts
Of course its a different motor . . . but is it not pretty much just a bored/stroked M62 w/ a fire-breathing head, intake/exhaust?QUOTE]

Of course the LS6 is a different motor but is it not just a bored and stroked M62 ?

·
Underdog On Top
176 Posts
The question is not whether its a "different" motor. But whether certain parts will swap over and make for a storker M62.

There are some weird/surprising comonalities and carry-over w/ BMW engines. For example the '95 e36 M3 motor (S50) and the '00-'06 e46 330 motor (M54B30) share the same crank. Different motors w/ the same crank.

·
X
227 Posts
@ franka: yeah man, vettes are BMWs with a US designed body kit.

·
Registered
8,775 Posts
@ franka: yeah man, vettes are BMWs with a US designed body kit.
There you go my point exactly.

Besides all M5s and 540s have 8 cylinders with pistons and rods and heads and and you know...

·
X
227 Posts
Well I mean they -do- both have BMW stamps.

·
Underdog On Top
176 Posts
There you go my point exactly.

Besides all M5s and 540s have 8 cylinders with pistons and rods and heads and and you know...
The point is that the fact that they are "different" motors, in and of itself, does not automatically preclude using an S62 crank for a M62 stroker project. Obviously, there may or may not be specific technical reasons why it won't work (which is what the OP was inquiring about).

Stroking BMW motors (on the BMW hobbyist level) entails using a crank and possibly other parts from a "different" BMW motor. For example, the BMW M20 stokers use BMW "eta" engine cranks, although they are different motors.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The question is not whether its a "different" motor. But whether certain parts will swap over and make for a storker M62.

There are some weird/surprising comonalities and carry-over w/ BMW engines. For example the '95 e36 M3 motor (S50) and the '00-'06 e46 330 motor (M54B30) share the same crank. Different motors w/ the same crank.
That`s true. BMW`s engine are easy to stroke by using theirs own parts.
Exsamble. you can stroke m20 to 2.8L by using M52b28 Crank or M51d25 (diesel crank-->2.75L) just have to make a few modifications the Crank then it fits right the way to m20 bottom block etc.. Also m20, m50 and m52 connecting rods are changsable.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Sc

Wouldn't a supercharger yeild better results and be cheaper in the long run?

1 - 20 of 91 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.