BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats up everyone,
I'm in a bit of a bind and have had great great advice from members of this forum in the past so figuredi'd reach out for some help--

This past weekend I decided to tackle the thrust arm and also lower control arm replacement of my '03 540i (long overdue). It ended up being a rushed job because plans changed and I didn't have much time to complete the job, let alone test drive afterwards.

After doing some more reading, come to find out I missed what I think is a CRUCIAL step and now i'm worried---
I failed to load the front suspension before tightening the bushing side of the thrust arm. I just tightened everything back up in the air, and dropped it. As mentioned, I did not even test drive the car afterwards to see if everything was fitted properly, so I cant say what effects it may have had.

This was of course serious ignorance on my part, but I guess my question is how bad is this situation? Could this have potentially damaged the bushings? Is it unsafe to drive? The original plan was to get an alignment after all was said and done if that helps, I just need to know whether or not the entire job will have to be redone and how out line the suspension is at the moment.

Any advice is much appreciated!

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
It is driveable and “safe”. You will want to raise it up, loosen, load, then tighten. There have been reports of new part failure in as little as 10k miles without preload.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

·
Just call me 777.
852 Posts
When you have the alignment done have them loosen and then torque the thrust arm bolt. They have the car on the rack might as well use it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok good to know that it is at least safe to drive. I will probably attempt to get under it again just readjust them or have the alignment guys do it.

·
Under the lift arms
13,114 Posts
I never preloaded suspension.. that was 110,000 miles ago

IDk if thats because i used urethane bushings?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts