BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's still under warranty so it's going back to the dealer, but I'm a perplexed by this one.

Started getting a big shimmy/vibration last week. The steering wheel shakes back and forth, you can feel the car vibrating beneath you, and it gets much worse when you apply the brakes. Seems to be at its worst around 40-50mph.

Then, after a while, it stops. For an hour or so, or maybe a day, and then it comes back. And then it goes away for a while.

????

The only thing I've checked is the tires, they look good and air pressure is even all around. I've had bad vibrations in my Passat before which turned out to be a tie rod, but that vibration was constant and never went away.

Any thoughts?

Thanks as always!

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
a good thought is that it might be your upper control arm bushings. This tpoic is discussed in great detail here many times over.

Search for control arm bushings.

Just curious though, how many miles on the car?

·
just havin a heart attack
2,741 Posts
aside from bushings, (very likely), the front wheel hubs will cause the phantom vibration. We replaced ALL the front suspension wear items on our 528iA with 199k on it, and there was still a vibration. We traced it to worn wheel hubs (they click when spun freely). Replaced those, all is well, no more E39 with Parkinson's.

·
Registered
208 Posts
try the simple stuff first...i went through this all once before.
wheel balance, and alignment
tire pressure
smoothness of the mounting surface between hub and wheel

then you might want to look at bushings and control arms, etc

i found that with the wheel balance, alignment and tire pressures almost all of my shimmy went away (i still have a small shimmy...but hardly noticeable at 90 KPH). the shimmy i do have is now probably due to control arms as i have 100,000 kms on the car now, but i'll wait until they really do need replacing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.