BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Longtime lurker, first time poster. This place is a trove of info, and now I have a specific issue.

My 2003 540 M-sport is doing a little kick when coming to a stop. I have Dinan Stage 3 engine and transmission software. It doesn't always do this, but the behavior increases when hot. I tend to drive in sport mode because (as I understand it) the Dinan software excludes first gear otherwise. I live in the city and think utilizing the first gear helps this issue a bit. Did a flush and refill like 5K miles ago.

Any and all advice appreciated. Hoping my tranny isn't on its way out.

·
Registered
4,101 Posts
Did you drain or flush and fill? Makes a difference...
Did you fill correctly? Get the trans to temp and cycle through the gears while car was level?
But before much further: describe the kick. Any noises associated?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No noise. Just sort of thumps when coming to a stop, and usually on hot days or when driven hard in stop/start traffic.

Can't attest to how the fill was executed. I will have to ask my mechanic.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
No noise. Just sort of thumps when coming to a stop, and usually on hot days or when driven hard in stop/start traffic.

Can't attest to how the fill was executed. I will have to ask my mechanic.
Get it up in the air and check the drive shaft.

Also wouldn't hurt to see what fluid was used and how the fill was done. If you don't run it through the gears then top it off in neutral, motor running, you're going to be low on fluid. Temperature of the fluid when added also makes a very large difference, believe it or not.

Jim

·
Registered
174 Posts
Might be completely out in left field, but take a look at the bushings that isolate the pumpkin. When they are worn out it lets the whole assembly clock back and forth and makes a nice clunking noise.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Did your mechanic drop the pan and replace the trans filter?

If he did a flush you might be in trouble. You do not want to perform a flush on these transmissions.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
No. I remember he wasn't able to find a filter.
Then you may have bigger problems. He shouldn't have serviced the trans if he couldn't find a filter. I don't get how he couldn't find one. Dealers usually have them. I've never had a problem getting one same day with Napa or Carquest.

I would take the car back to him, tell him to do it the right way or refund your money so you can find someone that will.

Why put new fluid with a dirty old filter?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well this was happening before I ordered the flush and fill. It's the reason I did to being with. So the problem isn't because of that.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
But what IS my situation? Is the tranny on its way out or is this a fluid issue (Which I am obviousl hoping. Getting an oil change next week and having them check while there is a lift.) Or is this software? When I was researching transmission issues on X5's (looking for an older one for winter) I found one doing this, and the forums suggested it only required a software reset. I wouldn't want to perform that on my Dinan car because I'm not familiar with how it would effect the software. This possibility intrigues me because it's easy and because the car isn't always symptomatic, and I wonder if it is a software issue that may or may not happen depending on each time I restart the car.

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
Are one or both of your vanos seals leaking? It may be the problem, mine was doing the same thing about 2 years ago and went away when I replaced the seals.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That effects your transmission? The short answer is yes, I get lean codes when it's cold and the seals are cold. But I never get and codes when it is warm (above 40 degrees). So the long answer is the vanos leaks when its cold and I get lean codes, but no codes when warm and the tranny kicks.

·
Registered
352 Posts
My car does that when the fluid needs to be changed. About every 30 k miles. Get a BMW Indy to do the service. Its about $1k if meticulously done w/ bmw fluid/filter.

·
Master of none
307 Posts
I have noticed mine doing this as well and was going to post but didn't know quite how to describe it. I just did a drain and filter change. The only time I notice it is when I get home and pull into the driveway. When I give it a little shot of throttle to climb the driveway it kicks when I let off the gas. I also noticed that it is not as pronounced when I am in sport and in 1st gear. Also does not do it everyday, maybe once or twice a week. I will be watching this post with great interest. I am wondering if I could get an indy to check level and top off if necessary with my Valvoline Max Life fluid?

·
Registered
298 Posts
Get a proper fluid and filter change and I bet your problem is solved.
Second that. This happened to our E65 and after a transmission service the condition went away. To me it felt like getting rear ended when just coming to a stop.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Any mechanic that "can't find a filter" for an e39 need not be working on your car. Sorry to be blunt, but they are readily available. And if he/she is not smart enough to find a filter they certainly don't know how to properly change the fluid.

Find a new mechanic before they cost you a transmission.

Jim

1 - 20 of 23 Posts