BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I originally posted this message on the Yahoo group "bmwe39" with some great answers. I am hoping to gather more answers before I head back to the dealer.

This weekend we took the new CPO 540iT Wag out on the back road to
the beach. On the 7 mile windy road (hwy9 in Los Gatos) we ran into a
little back up during a 98F condition - apparently a 1.8L car didn't
want to utilize the turnouts!

I was surprized to hear the water temperature warning light come on
at the 5 mile mark. We turned the air conditioner off and about a two
minutes later the indicator went away.

We arrived at our destination (Moss Beach) 45 minutes later at a
temperature of 78F and I shut down the car. The temperature warning
light came on again. I expected the fan to kick on like some other
vehicles but it didn't.

Should this be a concern or is this typical BMW E39 issues?
:dunno:

Thanks,
-D
03 540iT Wag

·
an audience of One
7,853 Posts
dumale said:
I originally posted this message on the Yahoo group "bmwe39" with some great answers. I am hoping to gather more answers before I head back to the dealer.

This weekend we took the new CPO 540iT Wag out on the back road to
the beach. On the 7 mile windy road (hwy9 in Los Gatos) we ran into a
little back up during a 98F condition - apparently a 1.8L car didn't
want to utilize the turnouts!

I was surprized to hear the water temperature warning light come on
at the 5 mile mark. We turned the air conditioner off and about a two
minutes later the indicator went away.

We arrived at our destination (Moss Beach) 45 minutes later at a
temperature of 78F and I shut down the car. The temperature warning
light came on again. I expected the fan to kick on like some other
vehicles but it didn't.

Should this be a concern or is this typical BMW E39 issues?
:dunno:

Thanks,
-D
03 540iT Wag
Dumale, how many miles do you have on your car? Has the radiator, expansion tank or water pump been replaced?

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
You should not overheat - something's wrong

I have the same car, have been in traffic and idling with the A/C on and the temperature near 100 with no problems. Temp guage is always dead center (for what little that's worth).

Presuming your cooling system is in reasonable shape, there is probably an issue with one of the 2 cooling fans. The fan mounted on the water pump should acuallty start to roar when the engine is revved and the system is under a very high heat condition.

The most likely probme may be the electric pusher fan in front of the radiator. Make sure it is running. It should come on within 30 seconds of turning the A/C on. It has more than one speed and is quite loud on the outside when on high. When I first picked up my car, the electic fan was jammed (fortuantely it still was OK). I'll suspect this may be your problem (jammed or not running for some reason).

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
markseven said:
Dumale, how many miles do you have on your car? Has the radiator, expansion tank or water pump been replaced?
KeithS said:
The most likely probme may be the electric pusher fan in front of the radiator. Make sure it is running. It should come on within 30 seconds of turning the A/C on. It has more than one speed and is quite loud on the outside when on high. When I first picked up my car, the electic fan was jammed (fortuantely it still was OK). I'll suspect this may be your problem (jammed or not running for some reason).
Mark - I just crossed 36,000.

The day before we purchased the car I scanned as many BMW 39 forums to try and figure out what issues do 2003 540iT so I knew there were some issues with cooling.

When I went back to that "Bay Area" dealer I scanned the entire cooling system. I noticed that it is a new radiator & expansion tank but wasn't sure how to read the coolant level (and I hear that the coolant is blue)!

I had the car sent to our 20yr BMW tech at another "Bay Area" dealership and he found nothing wrong with the system. It was just pressure tested and thoroughly a few days before the trip.

Keith - I believe I hear both fans running. I know that at idle the belt driven fan is definately running at a lower speed and it moves up as the RPM increases. Lately, the A/C has been on constantly.

This afternoon I will visually analyze and gather more data with the hood open.

on the Yahoo group a '98 540 owner gave me a link that should help me diagnose the system more effectively.
http://www.ideaphile.com/bmw/540-obc.html

thanks for the input.
Ill update the board with the results I find.

-D
540iT Sport Package Wag
San Jose, CA
:thumbup:

·
in HIS hands :)
1,730 Posts
dumale,

just came back from driving from the weekend - 1st one was semi-bumper to bumper traffic in 110-120 degree weather for 1 hour and 45 min, where only the last 30 minutes was cruising at 65-70 mph - and water temp was dead center. something does not sound right. hope you get it resolved. :)

jack

·
wrencher
150 Posts
Sort of sounds like your Auxillary fan isn't kicking in. It should have been running, especially if you're running the A/C.

Perhaps the fan switch needs replacing ? (Or whatever it's called, basically tells the fan to kick on when it reaches a certain temp.)

Since it's CPO, I would explain it to the dealer and have them take a look. Our cars are NOT supposed to do that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts