BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2005 545i has 59,000 miles and has had mechatronics issues for about 5,000 miles. I took the car back four times before the dealer agreed it was the mechatronics, even though I kept telling them the problem. I took the car back to where I bought the car, and they told me it would cost $3400 to repair. I have escalated it to the Service Director and BMW North America, but no assistance with the repair was even offered.

I dont know what to do now. I guess I am going to pick the car up tomorrow and then figure out what to do.

I love the car, but this whole thing has me thinking it's time to change brands altogether.

I know it's a common problem on the E60's. Anyone have suggestions?

Thanks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Exactly why I want one of these cars, but won't buy one. I was kind of blown away by a 2006 Lexus GS 430 and think I will go that route. Doesn't ride and handle as fun as the 5 series, but it's sporty enough and should be fairly problem free.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Well, I assume that you don't have the extended warranty so you are out of warranty? Unfortunately, it's really up to your SA, Tech and the service director you've been in touch with. If you've been a customer at the dealer and have a relationship with the SA they may push more for you with BMWNA. I took mine in several times for adaptive resets on tranny before the tech opened a PUMA. The PUMA tech ran some diagnostics and it ended up being a faulty mechatronics. BMWNA good will warranty covered the part and I had to cover the labor of about $800.

There's another long thread about this too and it seems to be hit or miss for good will warranty coverage.

Let me know if you have other questions.

·
Registered
842 Posts
i wonder when BMW will admit they have a recall problem with the e60 transmission. perhaps a class action lawsuit?
How can we get this started. I am just fed up with this trans. I like the car, but this trans. has got to go. I've been battling for like a year just to get it diagnosed properly.

·
Registered
231 Posts
How can we get this started. I am just fed up with this trans. I like the car, but this trans. has got to go. I've been battling for like a year just to get it diagnosed properly.
I'm with you. I'm tired of playing games with the dealer. I'm getting the wheels in motion to get rid of this car.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not sure what I am going to do next. I love this car, but it may be time to move to something else.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
My 2005 545i has 59,000 miles and has had mechatronics issues for about 5,000 miles. I took the car back four times before the dealer agreed it was the mechatronics, even though I kept telling them the problem. I took the car back to where I bought the car, and they told me it would cost $3400 to repair. I have escalated it to the Service Director and BMW North America, but no assistance with the repair was even offered.

I dont know what to do now. I guess I am going to pick the car up tomorrow and then figure out what to do.

I love the car, but this whole thing has me thinking it's time to change brands altogether.

I know it's a common problem on the E60's. Anyone have suggestions?

Thanks.
What's the symptoms? the mechatronic sleeve leaks shouldn't be that bad to fix, I'll check with indy shop to see if you can get better rate. Again if only fixing the leaks, it's replacing the pan/filter and gasket and top the ATF, shouldn't be $3400.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No leaks from my car. It has the dreadful hiccup/surge/whatever else you want to call it between 35-40 miles per hour. The sleeve isn't the problem. My car needs the complete valve assembly. It is so annoying when it happens. My fiance (who drives an 11 year old Acura) loves to point it out to me when she is riding in the car and it surges, and how even though her car was out of warranty by 5 years, Acura paid 2/3 of the cost of her new transmission five years after her warranty ended. Gotta love it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Are 6-speed affected by Mechatronic?

This may sound like a uninformed question, but from my searching it looks like mechatronic is just for automatic cars? Is that right?

·
MSGT USMC (Ret)
16 Posts
Totaly Dissapointing

I have the same damn problem. How DO we get BMWNA to agree their transmissions are faulty. Time to start putting the screws to corporate. I will never buy another BMW if this is how well (sarcastic) they last. I just paid to get the brake booster replaced today, I don't need more problems like this.

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
Are these cars out of warranty? Yes BMW might have faulty designs but if you are out of warranty you are usually SOL. With the downturn of the economy, BMW has also reduced the number of goodwill repairs. Also, I think it is hard to prove out of warranty that the problem was caused by faulty manufacture.

·
U of Dawgs
2,438 Posts
I have the same damn problem. How DO we get BMWNA to agree their transmissions are faulty. Time to start putting the screws to corporate. I will never buy another BMW if this is how well (sarcastic) they last. I just paid to get the brake booster replaced today, I don't need more problems like this.
Off Topic: Saw your post regarding the brake booster. I'm not sure how long you've had your car or if you are aware of the Brake Recall for your model.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5633324&postcount=11

If this booster replacement was done by the dealer, you may want to ask some questions. If it was done by an indy, you may want to get your receipt and talk real fast with BMWNA...

·
Registered
421 Posts
to the OP, since you are in houston you would take your car to motorwerks (off 59 and chimney rock) who has a good reputation for their work and have them price it for you. i have never used them for repairs but they installed my laser jammers and they have a good shop. lots of good reviews for them online.

my mechatronics went out in my 545 but luckily i had the warranty to cover it (not trying to rub it in, just saying there are a lot of these).

·
Registered
30 Posts
If you want to know how/when/if BMW will deal with your tranny issues, visit the e39 portion. Those trannies have been eating their reverse gear since they first came out and, unless under warranty, BMW said "adios". I'm visiting the e60 site as I'm kicking around trading my 03 530 for a CPO 535. I wanted to see how prevalent the HP fuel pump issue was then came across this tranny stuff.

I'm really thinking it's time to look at a M37...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts