BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the middle of replacing the upper timing cover and valve cover gaskets and have run into a problem with the passenger valve cover.

I've successfully removed the cover, replaced the gasket, and partially reinstalled the cover (including getting it safely over the eccentric shaft sensor). The cover is about 1/4 inches above where it needs to be. I suspect the new spark plug dome tubes are refusing to budge, but other than hammering the valve cover, I'm out of options.

So far I've tried to lightly hammer the cover with a rubber mallet. I've also removed and realigned the valve cover 4 times now, removed the three red plastic guides at the bottom, and put silicone lube on the tube gaskets. I've put all my weight leaning into the cover and it won't budge.

Any suggestions? Thank you.

·
Registered
194 Posts
What did you finally do?

Hi westsidebalto,

What did you finally do? Hit the same problem earlier this evening, searched the forum and called an AGA Tech. The problem is... those 3 red guides on the bottom of the valve cover. they are centered between the spark plug tubes. The tech told me you need to hook the bottom and swing the top over. 3 attempts including a pry bar, "no banana". I removed the 3 red guides and installed the valve cover. It's going to bother and annoy me until I re-install the red guides but I ran out of patience this evening. I want my car back on the road.

Prost :beerchug:

Frank

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi westsidebalto,

What did you finally do? Hit the same problem earlier this evening, searched the forum and called an AGA Tech. The problem is... those 3 red guides on the bottom of the valve cover. they are centered between the spark plug tubes. The tech told me you need to hook the bottom and swing the top over. 3 attempts including a pry bar, "no banana". I removed the 3 red guides and installed the valve cover. It's going to bother and annoy me until I re-install the red guides but I ran out of patience this evening. I want my car back on the road.

Prost :beerchug:

Frank
Frank,

I ended up reading a few other threads and some other websites and the general consensus is the three guides are not necessary. I've been running for about 4 months with no problems related to the guides. Honestly I don't know if it's possibly to reengage the guides without having the engine fully removed from the car, due to the tight clearances.

If I were you, I'd leave it as it is, finish the other side, put your car back together and get on with your life :thumbup:

For the record, I ended up using a rubber mallet and a wood block to lightly tap each portion of the valve cover onto the plug domes.

Good luck,

Jim

·
Registered
194 Posts
Thanks Jim

Hi Jim,

Thanks for your reply and feedback. I installed new spark plug tubes, looks like BMW did an update on this part. Old tubes are black plastic, new tubes have a metal heat shield. I used a q-tip and lithium grease on both ends and orifices. No rubber mallet needed although I had one near by just in case. The red guides are little thing and I don't see how they could make a difference but I've been wrong before. Usually I find every way how not to do something before I figure out how to do it right. Heading to the garage to do the passenger side cover. With any luck I'll re-install the intake tonight. She might be back on the rode just in time for my birthday.

Prost :beerchug;

Frank

Attachments

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
As alternative to mallet; I’ve seen posts where a stack of washers are used as spacers on the bolts to bring the covers down. The bolts bottom out too early apparently. After getting the cover down far enough with the required max torque, remove bolt and washers and reainstall bolt only (or with its standard single washer, don’t remember exactly).

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Bimmerfest

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's about 6-8 hours for a professional. Gaskets are $60. At $100/hr you are looking at $900 max.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J120A using Bimmerfest mobile app
In hindsight, you are correct. When I did it myself, it certainly seemed like it would be worth more than $900! I also did the timing covers, spark plug tubes, and all of the other gaskets you encounter, so that added additional time for me. I spent about $500 total on parts, though most were Genuine BMW.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As alternative to mallet; I've seen posts where a stack of washers are used as spacers on the bolts to bring the covers down. The bolts bottom out too early apparently. After getting the cover down far enough with the required max torque, remove bolt and washers and reainstall bolt only (or with its standard single washer, don't remember exactly).

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Bimmerfest
Excellent idea!

·
Registered
1999 BMW Z3 Roadster 2.5
888 Posts
I also tried installing the valve covers "the way its supposed to be installed". took a couple of hours trying to do it, gave up removed the red guides and had them on in 10 minutes with new spark plug tubes so yea.. get rid of them. haha

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I swear they had an elf in the factory inside the engine to install the gaskets with the red guides! There's no way to get it to work otherwise!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts