BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well.....I've been incognito for a few months and now I'm back. I have a big problem. About a year ago, I purchased (after much research) a new set of four Bridgestone Potenza Pole Position High Perf. All-Season tires for my 545i sport. The tires are staggered on the sport package (245 front and 275 rear). My dilemma is......after only 11,000 miles, the "middle groove" (there are three total grooves on these tires) is already down to 2/32s of an inch (did the penny test) on both rear tires (275s). Yet, the two outer grooves have plenty of wear left.
Of course, the first thought through my head is that these are supposed to be 40,000 mile warranty tires and that Tire Rack will most likely pro-rate my compensation through a warranty tire exchange. Then I got to thinking.....is there a chance that they won't exchange them because they'll claim uneven wear? Or.....on the other hand, are these tires supposed to have a middle groove that is much shallower than the two outside grooves? Has anyone else had this dilemma? Does anyone else use these tires (in this size) on their car.....and if so, what do you inflate them at? Could it be possible that a slight over-inflation could cause this after only 11,000 miles??? I thought I had been careful to follow the recommended inflations. Any help would be appreciated!

·
Plate O' Shrimp
326 Posts
Many such tires (including my beloved Pilots) seem to have a centre tread that is softer and more prone to wear. If your tires are chronically over-inflated, then you may well wear these out. It seems unusual that inflation at the recommended press would cause this though.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I would give tirerack a call and see what they say. I have heard a lot of horror stories about the staggered sets tearing up tread and if tirerack offers a discount or replacement a lot of people might go that route. Good luck and keep us updated

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
^Thanks. Called and talked to Tire Rack for a while last night and ended up emailing some pix of the tires showing the abnormal tread wear. Still waiting to hear what their techs say.....

·
Registered
176 Posts
Well.....I've been incognito for a few months and now I'm back. I have a big problem. About a year ago, I purchased (after much research) a new set of four Bridgestone Potenza Pole Position High Perf. All-Season tires for my 545i sport. The tires are staggered on the sport package (245 front and 275 rear). My dilemma is......after only 11,000 miles, the "middle groove" (there are three total grooves on these tires) is already down to 2/32s of an inch (did the penny test) on both rear tires (275s). Yet, the two outer grooves have plenty of wear left.
Of course, the first thought through my head is that these are supposed to be 40,000 mile warranty tires and that Tire Rack will most likely pro-rate my compensation through a warranty tire exchange. Then I got to thinking.....is there a chance that they won't exchange them because they'll claim uneven wear? Or.....on the other hand, are these tires supposed to have a middle groove that is much shallower than the two outside grooves? Has anyone else had this dilemma? Does anyone else use these tires (in this size) on their car.....and if so, what do you inflate them at? Could it be possible that a slight over-inflation could cause this after only 11,000 miles??? I thought I had been careful to follow the recommended inflations. Any help would be appreciated!
I had these tires on my 06 Acura TL and put 61000 miles on a set. I loved them so much I just put them on my 550. I only have 3,000 miles on them so far but not a hint of wear. I fully expect to get 40k out of them considering I got 60k on the last set. Only 11k miles is not right for these tires.

·
U of Dawgs
2,438 Posts
^Thanks. Called and talked to Tire Rack for a while last night and ended up emailing some pix of the tires showing the abnormal tread wear. Still waiting to hear what their techs say.....
You must like your rear tires overinflated...

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
I replaced the original RFT's on my 2008 535i Sport with these Bridgestone tires and the rears wore out at about 25K miles. I kept my tires inflated to about 3 lbs over the recommended tire pressures because I preferred the firmer ride I got in my opinion. Doing so definitely contributes to early and uneven wear.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.