BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
2004 545i Sport Dinan 5
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my first BMW for about 5 months now, a 545i Sport, now also a Dinan 5. I had the emissions and transmission malfs the first week I owned it. Put it in the shop three times, and $4500 later (no warranty) I have had the same problems. It worked great for about two months after the last trip to the shop, then three weeks ago the engine died at a stop light...embarrassing. And it malf'ed a few more times...always either the emissions or tran malf or a combination of both...

Anyway, I'm reluctant to put any more money into the car so I decided to replace the battery even though the shop said that it checked out ok. I put a walmart special maxx49 ($82) in as a replacement. It has been two days now and I've run the car hard trying to replicate the previous issues...and it runs perfectly so far. Yes, I paid the shop to reset the battery and codes. Even without that, it ran just fine the first day. I also put in fuel injector cleaner and octane booster (I know OB is a waste, but only $2).

I am going to be pissed if this fixed the problem after spending so much to replace all the other crap... so, I think I may narrow down the solution to my car as the battery...or poor fuel quality. Time will tell...

You may not hear from me again if this continues...I'll sell this POS and be done with it.

:cry:

·
2004 545i Sport Dinan 5
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OK, the POS did the same old thing yesterday on the way to work. Getting this thing fixed and it is gone...and it will be the last BMW I ever own. Anyone want to buy an "04 545i Sport Dinan 5? $17000.

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
OK, the POS did the same old thing yesterday on the way to work. Getting this thing fixed and it is gone...and it will be the last BMW I ever own. Anyone want to buy an "04 545i Sport Dinan 5? $17000.
Nice ad:rofl::rofl::rofl:

·
2004 545i Sport Dinan 5
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, so Hans from Autobahn Autosport called to break the news on the car. Another $892, this time to replace spark plugs, diagnostics to find that the problem lies with the "ISM Module", whatever the heck that is. He said that at some point, water got into the e-box on the passenger side engine compartment and fried the module? sigh... He says it is running great now for two days... I'm still not convinced that I trust the car. I think I'm going to make it someone else's problem.

·
2004 545i Sport Dinan 5
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So, after the last update... Hans called me after he said to come and pick up the car. It did the trans malf and other codes again after two trouble free days of testing. So, the car wound up in the shop until Tuesday (May 10) this week. The total repair bill was $1097.68. They wound up replacing the Integrated Supply Module ($133), spark plugs ($100), and e-box control unit fan ($142).

Here are the problem descriptions from the tech:
Check car.
Electrical problems.
Found car runs rough/random cylinder misfire / multiple misfires
found sparkplugs due on maintenance
replaced sparkplugs
Found acid trails in ISM- water damage. replace ISM
Found repeating faults for ebox fan
replaced ebox fan
moved cylinder 6 coil to cyl 7
moved cylinder 7 coil to cyl 8
found abnormal conditions

The tech would up sending files from the autobox 22 times to the company in Britain? They tested for two weeks after a few tweaks in the computer and have not had any codes since. Hans and Riley are convinced they have addressed all of the issues and I have had it for a few days and no problems. It does "feel" a bit stronger with better throttle response with the plug change. Getting slightly better mileage too (2 tenths).

I am still going to put the car on autotrader. It is already on craigslist. I may sell it, but only at a good offer...for now. I'm still not convinced that this BMW model has acceptable reliability for a $60k car.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
V8 BMW's are nightmare. believe it or not.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts