BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there are like 50 different posts on here and I've been trying to read through them. I too have a bad Goodyear tire and can't get a replacement. I'm trying to get BMW to replace all 4 tires. I'm going to request summer run flats and get a different set of wheels and tires for the winter. So;

What are you guys recommending for a good summer run flat? I know non run flats are better but I really want the security of run flats. They've come in handy several times in the past few years for me.

Tirerack suggested Bridgestone Potenza RE050's. Anyone have experience with these? They seem expensive so I doubt BMW would pay for them. Any other thoughts?

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Unfortunately is cost is a major concern, you're kind of between a rock and a hard place, because all of the RFT's are basically as expensive or more expensive than the Bridgestone Potenza RE050A RFT. While those tires are very grippy, they are known to be a bit harsh and more importantly wear poorly. Dunlop just came out with a new version of their Max performance summer RFT's, Dunlop SP Sport Maxx DSST RunOnFlat.

·
The Driver
4,641 Posts
I have experimented with this over the years, and I think the best one is the Michelin PS2 ZP for grip, and the Bridgstone RE050 RFT for ride comfort.

But neither satisfied me. I sold the PS2 runflats for regular PS2s and have never looked back.

Now I would get a PSS or a S-04, and will do that instantly when I get my 550i.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I had Bridgestone Potenza RFTs on my e60 550i in 2006. Within a year or so, BMW replaced them because they wore poorly and were very noisy. Within a year or so of getting the replacement Bridgestones, I got rid of them and moved to nonRFTs for the same reason, very noisy and a very harsh ride. Unless the tire has beed re-designed since then, I would strongly recommend against them.

Based on my experince with RFTs on my e60, I am using nonRFT winter tires on my
550ix and have Pilot PS2 nonRFTs ready to go when it is time to put summer tires/rims on. The ride with nonRFTs is SOOOOO much better. I haven't had a flat in 20 years. I have a BMW mobility kit and a plug kit in my trunk just in case. Someone will come out with a high pressure spare soon, I am sure.

Good luck with your tire choice! Check out the Tire Rack survey for some other perspectives.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
BMW just replaced my tires with the Dunlops TJ mentioned. So far they are great. They are summer tires vs the all seasons I had on the car. They certainly have more grip in the dry, wet seems to be fine and the road noise (or lack thereof) is the same. They still do crash over potholes, but that is common to all runflats...

·
Registered
63 Posts
I ran 4 sets of PS2s between my vet and CTS V. Most recently I have been running Khumos on the vet (which are OK) and Hankook Ventus V12 Evos on my V. The Hankook is the best tire I have ever run. It is the best all around wet dry summer tire I have ever run. Quiet on the highway, sticks the best in wet, and performs great under dry conditions. And still going at 25,000 plus miles (I never got more than 20,000 out of PS2s) with 5K to go hopefuly. It is cheaper than the perellis, PS1, PS2s and BS pole positions I have run over the past 15 years. I ran them with the ice we had in IL this year and they were freaking scary over 25 MPH.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
OK since the OP asks:
What are you guys recommending for a good summer run flat?
I will stick to that...
Your options in a 245/40-19 Summer RFT are limited to 7 choices according to Tirerack:
2011 f10 550iX M Sport
Keep in mind many of these tires are in limited supply because they are either new models or just out of stock, probably due to the terrible road conditions of every urban area in North America. The reason TR suggested Bridgestone Potenza RE050A in the first place is because these are the only ones that are more readily avaliable because they've been out on the mkt longer than the rest. If you want to stay with RFT's you basically have to choose the least worse option.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.