BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to get the new 550X with adaptive suspension. Some tell me they think the V8 is too heavy and the 6 is a much better engine. I do note the current 550X is 254 lbs. heavier than the 6 cyl., all on the front I presume, and I do go slinking through the mountains of WV several times a summer (poor wife has to hold on for dear life). But, boy would I like the power. Any comments from those that own the V8? Thanks....

·
Registered
367 Posts
The current 550xi has a weight distribution of 47% front and 53% rear. The G30 should be similar though I understand that the new rear xDrive unit is lighter.

·
Registered
10,695 Posts
The current 550xi has a weight distribution of 47% front and 53% rear. The G30 should be similar though I understand that the new rear xDrive unit is lighter.
That's a misprint on their website. Should be 53% front. Take a look at the weight distribution of the 535 and you'll see that those numbers don't make sense.

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Get the V8. I used to have the 535i and now the 550i. The F10 550i with adaptive drive feels more planted and you don't feel the extra weight at all. Now, you do feel the extra weight on the M5, surprisingly. The V8 is way more enjoyable to drive.

·
cor door sedan
1,161 Posts
Get the V8. I used to have the 535i and now the 550i. The F10 550i with adaptive drive feels more planted and you don't feel the extra weight at all. Now, you do feel the extra weight on the M5, surprisingly. The V8 is way more enjoyable to drive.
My experience with the 550 was quite the opposite. It felt nose heavy. The transmission didn't shift as smoothly and easily (2nd to 3rd was particularly "clunky"). But it sure did accelerate with ease. That was what I liked. Mine was a 2013 with AD.

But I was so disillusioned by my 550 because of these and other problems (throttle tip in and turbo lag, for example) that I revolted and swapped it for an i3 the moment I got the lease pull ahead offer. An i3 for crying out loud.

This time I'm going back to the 540. I was considering the M5 hoping it wouldn't have the same problems but now that you mention it too had a weight feel problem, well, bummer.

I would wait to see how the different variants of the G30 drive and feel, but I want out of the i3 ASAP. Don't get me wrong, I love it. It just doesn't have the right vibe/feel to it. I want back in a sporty luxo cruiser. And I don't want to risk the same problems again with the 550.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I've driven all engine variants of the current F10. There is no question the 550i is much faster than any of the other models. The published 0-60 times actually don't really tell the full story as to how much faster the 550 is (and feels) in daily driving situations. However, you pay for it at the pump. Fuel consumption is equally insane. Mine is a rear wheel drive, so the weight distribution issue is not as much of a problem, but the overall weight of the car can be felt at times. It's not a sports car and I doubt the G30 will be that different in this regard. They did a good job on the new 7 making it feel nimble, but its still a 2 ton+ vehicle.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
My experience with the 550 was quite the opposite. It felt nose heavy. The transmission didn't shift as smoothly and easily (2nd to 3rd was particularly "clunky"). But it sure did accelerate with ease. That was what I liked. Mine was a 2013 with AD.

But I was so disillusioned by my 550 because of these and other problems (throttle tip in and turbo lag, for example) that I revolted and swapped it for an i3 the moment I got the lease pull ahead offer. An i3 for crying out loud.

This time I'm going back to the 540. I was considering the M5 hoping it wouldn't have the same problems but now that you mention it too had a weight feel problem, well, bummer.

I would wait to see how the different variants of the G30 drive and feel, but I want out of the i3 ASAP. Don't get me wrong, I love it. It just doesn't have the right vibe/feel to it. I want back in a sporty luxo cruiser. And I don't want to risk the same problems again with the 550.
Agree 100% i owned 550 xi M sport for 3 years and it was very nose heavy.
Drove 535 multiple times and felt more agile,easier, but acceleration on 550 was brutal!!!!!
this time will not even look at M550, 540 xi M sport will be plenty fast to my taste.
As mentioned earlier will wait to see 2017/18 E43 4MATIC and compare both.

·
cor door sedan
1,161 Posts
acceleration on 550 was brutal!!!!!

this time will not even look at M550, 540 xi M sport will be plenty fast to my taste.
You make a good point.

The 550 was so quick, the fun was over too quickly.

Comparing my previous E60 535 to the 550 when driving up a hill climb with switch backs or through a winding canyon road, the 535 was just more fun. With the 550, the acceleration was so quick, you were off the gas and onto the break so much sooner. It wasn't as smooth and enjoyable to drive it hard on these types of roads. There was more anxiety wth the 550 than pleasure.

I'm 87% sure I'm locked in to the 540 this time. It'll be the goldilocks. Quicker than the 535 but not so quick as to remove the fun. And not nose heavy.

·
Registered
6,501 Posts
I'm looking to get the new 550X with adaptive suspension. Some tell me they think the V8 is too heavy and the 6 is a much better engine. I do note the current 550X is 254 lbs. heavier than the 6 cyl., all on the front I presume, and I do go slinking through the mountains of WV several times a summer (poor wife has to hold on for dear life). But, boy would I like the power. Any comments from those that own the V8? Thanks....
Mountains? Get 6 cyl. You need agility not 0-60 time.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I owned a F10 535, drove the 550 and now have an M5 for my daily driver. Maybe I am a novice at this but I DO NOT feel the extra weight in the M5. The M5 driving dynamics (suspension, body roll etc.) is so different that, for me, it is more fun to drive and "throw around". I definitely felt the weight in the 550 more but would still go with it over the 535 - the acceleration and power is addicting.

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
I owned a F10 535, drove the 550 and now have an M5 for my daily driver. Maybe I am a novice at this but I DO NOT feel the extra weight in the M5. The M5 driving dynamics (suspension, body roll etc.) is so different that, for me, it is more fun to drive and "throw around". I definitely felt the weight in the 550 more but would still go with it over the 535 - the acceleration and power is addicting.
I've actually owned all three of them and the M5 was noticeably heavier. You almost always have to have it in some form of sport mode to make it agile. I traded it in for the 550 but I might go back to it if I buy a second car. I agree with you that the M5 is more fun to drive.

The 550, on the other hand, is more fluid than the M5 and smoother than the 535i.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts