BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the market for a 2011 550i and have been reading up on all the N63 issues. What I haven't been able to find is how are the vehicles behaving after the CCP? Also, is there any way I can tell if a vehicle has had the CCP done to it?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Yes you may run the vin by any dealer and they will tell you when, where and what was done to the vehicle,, my advise? stay the hell out of the 550i 2011-2013 don't make the mistake as i did buying a used 2011. My car was just dropped off today at the dealership for various problems.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I agree with above post I just spent 4 years with an E60 v8 and I learned my lesson the hard way. It's my fifth BMW and my last v8. I did a lot of research and talked to several very good BMW mechanics and every last one told me to run away from any 11-13 550. I decided to go with the 535i Msport and with the jb4 and intake it's a great car and I have the peace of mind that it's not the N63 motor. Good luck with your choice

·
Registered
182 Posts
Oh and don't get fooled what the CCP was done. There is a post today about a car that had the CCP done one year ago and it now needs 12k worth of work.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Good call I had the same dilemma you do just a few weeks ago. I was in love with the 550 until I did my homework on the N63. There is so many good 535s out there. I found a 2012 Carbon Black M sport with all the options I wanted, and a few more I had not thought about. The best part it only has 25k miles. The day I brought it home I ordered the jb4 and intake and now the car came to life. Stick with the n55 and never look back this N63 motor will probably go down as the WORST motor even produced hands down. I thought my E60 v8 was bad with leaks out of every possible spot but the issues for the 550 is far worse and more $$$ than just oil leaks.

·
Registered
182 Posts
The M5 uses the same base 4.4 but it's the S63 motor. There is different turbos and pulse tuned manifold and I'm sure other things. Honestly I don't know if the S63 is having the same issues, I have not really looked into that as much as the 550.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Hmm becouse everyone is just talking about 550i, thats why i was thinking how is with these m5 engines ;) thanks ;)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The S63 is not affected by the issues of the N63. And I currently have a V8 530i and I love it. I wanted to keep the V8

·
Registered
389 Posts
It's a 1995 E34. It's a 3.0 V8.
There are two versions of the 530i, a 6-cylinder model which was produced from 1988 to 1990 and a V8 model produced from 1992 to 1995. The earlier 6-cylinder model was powered by the M30 and not sold in North America. The V8 version, which effectively replaced the 6-cylinder 535i in the line-up, was powered by the new M60 engine and was available in sedan and wagon body styles. Transmission choices for the V8 version were a 5-speed manual and a 5-speed automatic.[8] The V8 models were differentiated with a wider grille.

Interesting I always thought that a "530" was an inline 6 cylinder. Learn something new every day!

·
Registered
182 Posts
It's a 1995 E34. It's a 3.0 V8.
Ahhhh ok you got me there, you went old school on me! Lol I'm so used to e60 and f10 on these forums that you got passed me. You got the last of the reliable and great v8's that BMW made it started to go gradually downhill with the e39. How many miles you got on it? That is a sharp body style on the e34.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ahhhh ok you got me there, you went old school on me! Lol I'm so used to e60 and f10 on these forums that you got passed me. You got the last of the reliable and great v8's that BMW made it started to go gradually downhill with the e39. How many miles you got on it? That is a sharp body style on the e34.
Thanks! I love the car, but I can't resist the F10 style. It's a black on black 530i, 5 speed. It's currently got 150k on it and runs better than I could ever ask.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Yes you may run the vin by any dealer and they will tell you when, where and what was done to the vehicle,, my advise? stay the hell out of the 550i 2011-2013 don't make the mistake as i did buying a used 2011. My car was just dropped off today at the dealership for various problems.
The N63TU in the 2014-2016 has significant issues as well. Not as bad as the N63 in the 2011-2013, but I would still avoid it quite frankly.

·
Super Moderator
7,068 Posts
Thanks for all the input everyone! I guess I'm on to look for a 535i for all the features I want now
You do not have to necessarily stay away from 550's. I just would just be wary of the pre-LCI's, especially without the updated engine. Then, you complicate things with owning a complex vehicle out of warranty. 528's and 535's are definitely the safer choice. Budgets and desired "must-have" features are another thing to always consider as LCI's additionally offer more than just an exterior face lift.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts