BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a 2010 550i GT (with 4.4L N63 Engine). I have a few questions on injector problems with others with the 50i engine.

It is CPO until March 2016. Ran fine first few days but then hesitated starting. Took it in. They claim it needs all new injectors. Did some research and that seems to be a common issue with the N63 engine. I then ask them when/if they were ever replaced before. They said they've been replaced several times, most recently 8 months ago. Needless to say, that was pretty alarming... only 8 months and it needs ALL 8 new injectors again? In discussing it with my SA, he said they need to do all 8 because this is a new injector design. So that sounds fine... but in doing further research it seems there has been several revisions to the injector design since 2010, but that the most recent design was longer than 8 months ago (like 2013). If so, why would they have put outdated injectors in 8 months ago? Or has there been another revision since then that I haven't found?

Then, SA calls a couple days ago and says "I don't want to blame anyone but it looks like the dealership that previously installed the injectors messed up a mounting hole for the injectors, and will need to be fixed." Then he goes through how he will need another two weeks etc, etc, but was being very cautious not to tell me too much. He wouldn't tell me exactly what hole was messed up, or how badly, or how they would repair it which I found odd. So, I go and talk to the salesperson and ask if she can get anymore info on it. Well she comes back to tell me its an issue with the cylinder head having a stripped out bolt, and that he was being hesitant because a BMW warranty rep has to come look to see if it's covered. She then explained that they can "refinish the head" or "sleeve the hole and tap it again." Can someone help me understand what may be going on here? I'm worried that either of these "fixes" may compromise the longevity of the engine... I mean a repair like that the engine is never going to be 100% again will it?

Also, in my reading I found on the BMW website that all repair work is covered for parts/labor for 2 years when done at a BMW dealership. When I asked my SA he confirmed this is true, but was unwilling to put it in writing and had nothing to give me proving that. My concern/question is: does the 2 year warranty only apply when it's a consumer paying for a repair, or would a CPO warranty repair also extend 2 years from time completed? It's important for me to know because with these injector issues it looks like I shouldn't keep it much past the warranty period and this will make the difference between being able to keep it 1.5 years and keeping it 2 years.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Without more specific information about exactly what thread was stripped on the cylinder head I can't give you any info about how serious it is and what the long-term effects might be. If this were happening to me, I would be really upset! If you just bought this car I would try to get out of the deal and buy another car.
As far warranty coverage for this is concerned, this should be entirely covered by BMW. Anything less and I would be contacting my attorney.

·
Registered
379 Posts
My experiences have been that the two year parts/labor warranty for repairs is ONLY when it has been paid for by the Customer. In other words, once your warranty expires all repair costs will be your responsibility.

I, too, have had the injectors replaced twice on my 2011 550i. They also did the spark plugs as part of the service.

·
Registered
2019 540 M-Sport Dark Graphite Metallic
100 Posts
I had fuel injectors and spark plugs changed. Then a few months later my 550 was burning oil, They replaced valve guides, spark plugs and did a walnut shell cleaning to clean the carbon build up in the engine. They also replaced my timing chain and a bubble in my rear tire. Luckily all was covered by BMW. Wonder how much this would have costed?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks for the replies. The car is still in the shop. 3 weeks today. They are replacing the plugs as well as the injectors. Have not been able to get ahold of SA since last Friday so that's been very frustrating. I'm just ready to have a running car back! I haven't even gotten to enjoy it since buying it. As soon as I get him on the phone I am going to pin him down on exactly what the issue is and what they are doing about it.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Any good news to share?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Any good news to share?
Got the car back. New injectors, plugs, and sleeved several mounting holes that were stripped. Seems to run fine, but now the transmission is lurching into gear when cold. This didn't happen before and I'm sure isn't related... but nonetheless not the best experience I've had with a new (to me) car.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Soooo I can't help but add to this thread. I currently have my X5M at a dealer for some "Injector Issues". I just bought it used from a dealer with 64k on it. Boy was I in for it. So I started hearing a popping noise from the engine after driving home. I thought, Maybe this is common for this engine since the exhaust is on top??? Nope..... So it slowly got worse till it started misfiring pretty bad. So I took it into the dealer thinking "Running Rough+ Possible Exhaust leak+known Service Campaigns" = should be covered right?

So I dropped it off at the dealer and found out that that the Campaign was already done before, only to find out that the injector in the Number 5 Cylinder was cross threaded into the hold down. The popping noise was from compression blowing past the injector, that ultimately damaged the cylinder head. The local dealer knew about this issue since they have seen "Dealer Hacks" short cut this campaign and snake the injector out without removing the fuel rail. Well I received a quote from my local dealer for get this...... wait for it.... wait for it........ $19,000. They need to replace the head complete to fix this issue.

So step 1, I called the dealer I purchased it from and where it was serviced ( BMW of Bakersfield) and the Service Manager Basically acknowledged that they have seen this happen in the past. He was nice enough to offer a whole lot of JACK SQUAT to resolve this. Really???? This car was bought and only serviced at their dealer and felt they had no responsibility for this. That is crazy!!

So I'm on the phone with BMW of North America to see what they can get figured out. This Dealer infected the car with a Disease that by the time we figured it out, it became terminal. This by far is the worst possible experience in buying a car...

I will keep you guys posted on what happens with BMW of America. FYI I would pull your covers off and look for any short cut repairs, otherwise you may have the same thing happen to you since there seems to be lots of hacks in dealers these days.

·
Registered
4,948 Posts
So I dropped it off at the dealer and found out that that the Campaign was already done before, only to find out that the injector in the Number 5 Cylinder was cross threaded into the hold down. The popping noise was from compression blowing past the injector, that ultimately damaged the cylinder head. The local dealer knew about this issue since they have seen "Dealer Hacks" short cut this campaign and snake the injector out without removing the fuel rail. Well I received a quote from my local dealer for get this...... wait for it.... wait for it........ $19,000. They need to replace the head complete to fix this issue.

So step 1, I called the dealer I purchased it from and where it was serviced ( BMW of Bakersfield) and the Service Manager Basically acknowledged that they have seen this happen in the past. He was nice enough to offer a whole lot of JACK SQUAT to resolve this. Really???? This car was bought and only serviced at their dealer and felt they had no responsibility for this. That is crazy!!

So I'm on the phone with BMW of North America to see what they can get figured out. This Dealer infected the car with a Disease that by the time we figured it out, it became terminal. This by far is the worst possible experience in buying a car...

I will keep you guys posted on what happens with BMW of America. FYI I would pull your covers off and look for any short cut repairs, otherwise you may have the same thing happen to you since there seems to be lots of hacks in dealers these days.
So if the X5 was only service in Bakersfield at that BMW show it seems that they did the damage, would be interesting in hearing what BMW says.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I feel your pain (19K)- was the truck a CPO?
Reading post like these just turn me off from buying used.
The 535 I have is a CPO and the first used car I ever bought, so far (going on 3yrs) so good.
The warranty expires this September and I am thinking of keeping the car because I only have 43K miles. Lets see what they are going to charge for a extended warranty.

·
Registered
4,948 Posts
I feel your pain (19K)- was the truck a CPO?
Reading post like these just turn me off from buying used.
The 535 I have is a CPO and the first used car I ever bought, so far (going on 3yrs) so good.
The warranty expires this September and I am thinking of keeping the car because I only have 43K miles. Lets see what they are going to charge for a extended warranty.
I was looking at a used 550 or 650 but like you the horror stories of these engines even when they had the rework done has kept me away from them

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.