BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought 2006 CPO 550i (22,000 miles on it) in June so no winter cold weather experience yet. However, for five days in a row as temperature got colder (55 F in garage, 32F to 42F outside) first start of day had very rough idle (engine shaking car sort of rough) for 10 seconds or so. I made dealer appointment, but of course then it seemed to get better--now I would say just a rough idle for 10 seconds or so. After initial 10 seconds idle smooths out and drops to 700 rpm with a few stumbles and after another 45 seconds or so gets smoother yet (idle still at 700 rpm). Cancelled dealer appointment because did not want to get into that "it doesn't do it at dealer" situation. Car did not have rough idle start during summer until these recent occurences. Would appreciate comments concerning "normal" cold start behavior for 550i. Can not correlate to gas in tank at time. Thank you , Dennis

·
Registered
434 Posts
I haven't noticed any difference in the cold start of my '08 550 since the weather got colder. We've had a few weeks below freezing this month, and the car started just fine.

There is a service bulletin out there concerning a rough idle on a cold start (SIB 12 27 05 is what I read, but it may have been superceded since) which applied to cars built up to 03/07 (which included mine). The SIB referred to "Excessive idle speed fluctuations (1100-1300 rpm) on a cold start for the first 30 seconds of engine operation, when transmission is in P or N position" I had this issue when I picked up my car, and had the appropriate reprogramming done - no issues since.

Good luck:thumbup:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cold Start Feedback

Thank you PimoX3 for service bulletin info and feedback--helps to let service writers at dealers know one has done some research on issues and has some car knowledge. And Winnipeg certainly will test a car's cold start behavior--I had a Jaguar XKE when I worked in Grand Forks, ND years ago and a block heater was absolute winter requirement. Winnipeg was my source for British car parts back then. Regards, Dennis

·
Registered
396 Posts
Glad to hear hear that others are doing this as well... The throttle does not flutter but the engine is rough for 10-15 seconds.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rough Idle

I will ask dealer about service bulletin PimoX3 mentions to see if rough running at cold start can be corrected. Seems like it is common among 550i models, tolerated by most and not necessarily sign of fuel injector or other issues. Not what I expected from BMW, but as car drives fine when warm the "drivers car" image is consistent anyhow.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Have an 06 650i that runs rough as well for a bit after start on a cold day. Seems consistent with the 4.8 V8.

·
Registered
10 Posts
try this it's easy to do only 5 minutes and solved all your rough idle and check engine light problems on your (2000-2009) later or newer yes! all BMW E60, X3, X5, 325i,330i,335i,525i,528i,530i,535i,550i... check out the manifold adjuster Google this up.

That appears to have been the problem the whole time. This is what caused the check engine light and O2 sensor fault and misfire codes. listed below are the codes that are caused by a broken Intake Manifold Runner Valve/Adjuster Unit!!!

Ignore these codes after changing your broken or damage Intake Manifold Runner Valve/adjuster Unit these codes will be gone.

P0171 = Fuel Trim, Bank1 System too Lean

P0174 = Fuel Trim, Bank2 System too Lean

P0300 = Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected

P0313 = Misfire Detected Low Fuel Level

P0741 = Torque Converter Clutch Circuit Performance or Stuck Off

P1083 = Fuel Control Mixture Lean (Bank 1 Sensor 1)

P1085 = Fuel Control Mixture Lean (Bank 2 Sensor 1)

P1342 = Misfire During Start Cylinder 1

P1346 = Misfire During Start Cylinder 3

P1348 = Misfire During Start Cylinder 4

P1350 = Misfire During Start Cylinder 5

P1352 = Misfire During Start Cylinder 6

The adjuster's part description on www.ecstuning.com
Air adjustment unit controls the path of the air in the intake manifold, allowing either a shorter or longer runner length. A common source of trouble causing low RPM sluggishness and accompanied by a clicking sound from the engine bay. The exact symptoms.

Location on driver's side. I already removed the two T40 bolts (upper right and lower middle.) Then simply pull the adjuster unit straight back out towards you. ( 5 minutes)
After removing the manifold adjuster you can also clean your idle control valve (ICV). It's easy to remove the ICV 12 minutes job and clean it with the Throttle Body & Air Intake Cleaner!!!

I can feel the difference in the acceleration and there's no slight hesitation or engine rough idle and after clearing the check engine light it will not come back on!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
try this it's easy to do only 5 minutes and solved all your rough idle and check engine light problems on your (2000-2009) later or newer yes! all BMW E60, X3, X5, 325i,330i,335i,525i,528i,530i,535i,... check out the manifold adjuster Google this up.

That appears to have been the problem the whole time. This is what caused the check engine light and O2 sensor fault and misfire codes. listed below are the codes that are caused by a broken Intake Manifold Runner Valve/Adjuster Unit!!!

Ignore these codes after changing your broken or damage Intake Manifold Runner Valve/adjuster Unit these codes will be gone.

P0171 = Fuel Trim, Bank1 System too Lean

P0174 = Fuel Trim, Bank2 System too Lean

P0300 = Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected

P0313 = Misfire Detected Low Fuel Level

P0741 = Torque Converter Clutch Circuit Performance or Stuck Off

P1083 = Fuel Control Mixture Lean (Bank 1 Sensor 1)

P1085 = Fuel Control Mixture Lean (Bank 2 Sensor 1)

P1342 = Misfire During Start Cylinder 1

P1346 = Misfire During Start Cylinder 3

P1348 = Misfire During Start Cylinder 4

P1350 = Misfire During Start Cylinder 5

P1352 = Misfire During Start Cylinder 6

The adjuster's part description on www.ecstuning.com
Air adjustment unit controls the path of the air in the intake manifold, allowing either a shorter or longer runner length. A common source of trouble causing low RPM sluggishness and accompanied by a clicking sound from the engine bay. The exact symptoms.

Location on driver's side. I already removed the two T40 bolts (upper right and lower middle.) Then simply pull the adjuster unit straight back out towards you. ( 5 minutes)
After removing the manifold adjuster you can also clean your idle control valve (ICV). It's easy to remove the ICV 12 minutes job and clean it with the Throttle Body & Air Intake Cleaner!!!

I can feel the difference in the acceleration and there's no slight hesitation or engine rough idle and after clearing the check engine light it will not come back on!!!

·
Ten2Six
212 Posts
I have the same rough start issue on colder mornings but it was also there when it was warmer. Had the dealer check it out many times, no solution. I will ask them about this bulletin.

·
Registered
1 Posts
cold start

I had notice a rumble, then later would not start on first time....after a week in service they ended up changing all the fuel injectors and it start and runs great! is there a 550i forum seperate? my first winter coming up and not sure about snow tires....any help

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
My car has no cold weather starting problems.

Then again, my car has no cold weather to start in. :bigpimp:

Enjoy your winter guys!:p

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thank you for the information. When it got cold here in TN my wifes 04 330I starting acting up. I cleaned the part with throttle body cleaner and a tooth brush no problem since. Thanks again.

·
Registered
16 Posts
my engine starts rough on cold mornings and i am also noticing my engine gets a lil rough on really cold days (e.i. 15F-20f) but not just when starting, a couple of days ago i was just just driving along at about 2500 rpm's and it just got really rough all of a sudden. anyone every experience the engine getting rough while driving.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
My 07 550 sits in the garage and usually it's about 37-40 degrees in there when I first fire it up. No stumbling or idling issues. 35K on the clock.

·
Registered
396 Posts
my engine starts rough on cold mornings and i am also noticing my engine gets a lil rough on really cold days (e.i. 15F-20f) but not just when starting, a couple of days ago i was just just driving along at about 2500 rpm's and it just got really rough all of a sudden. anyone every experience the engine getting rough while driving.
Mine also runs a little rough for the first 2-3 minutes when temps are under 40. I just let her idle then drive really easy for the next 5 minutes. From here out she runs really smooth.

·
Registered
9 Posts
This rough idle problem tends to start around 55000 to 60000 miles. The manifold adjuster gets sticky with an oily type coating witch makes the flap stick. If it is sticking not allowing it to open on time that will make it run rough not only at idle but when ever it gets stuck. I would take ten or fifteen minutes and spend six dollars for the throttle body cleaner and an old tooth brush and see if it helps. I would recommend doing this every 50,000.00 miles. I would also recommend filling the gas tank and adding one can of sea foam in the tank to clean the fuel system.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts