BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning forum,

I know this topic has been beaten to death, but I wanted to do one final check before I take my car in to the shop. In summary my car exhausts blue smoke after letting it idle for 5-10 minutes and revving the engine. I have around 55K miles right now so it may be early for valve stem seals, but certainly not out of scope.

Here's some things I did to diagnose:
1. Recently replaced both CCV valves and checked them again for failure. Both are ok.
2. Inspected the hoses are they seem to be fine.
3. I looked inside the intake manifold and its seems to be coated with oil. Not sure if that is normal or not.
4. Checked my coolant and oil and I dont think they are mixing. Both look clean.

Is there anything else that I can check?

Thank you!!

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Valve stem seals. While it appears premature mileage-wise you can be assured they have failed due to age. They'll be as hard as a rock with elongated enlarged holes and no longer contacting the valve stems. Seals must be a precise fit and remain pliable to squeegee the oil off stems of the valves.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both. I had a gut feeling but just wanted to see if I was missing anything.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I got a good deal actually, $1500 from a guy in Sacramento Ca, he had the car for a while because of a rough idle after doing the seals, and also lifter tick or so I thought, the rough idle was due to a broken valve retention spring and the tick was from the same thing, he ended up doing a bunch of other work while in their changed some sensors, gaskets transmission pan and fluid, valley pan etc... I don’t think he would do it for that cheap again so I think I lucked out.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

1 - 6 of 6 Posts