BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning!

First post on here so please go easy on me! I got the 5DB3 error on my E91, Also, usual driving stability, DBC failure and FTM system error...Bit of searching around and suspected it was the wheel speed sensor, changed this, cleared the fault with my cheap reader and the fault remains!

Took the new sensor out and it was slightly damaged at the end so I suspected the reluctor ring had caught it whilst on my test drive. So, new reluctor ring fitted. Put the same "new but slightly damaged" sensor back in, cleared the code and a test drive threw up the same error.

Ordered a new sensor from Amazon, fitted, cleared fault. Test drove this morning and still the error is present!

Where do I go from here please?

1. Is it the sensors I am buying (£10-£15)?
2. Is my cheap reader not capable of clearing the code properly?
3. Does the sensor need certain mileage on it for it to start working, I am only going 1/4 mile on the test drive, is that enough?
4. Could it be something else? I have seen the bearing suggested in other posts?

Appreciate any help!

·
Registered
E90 : 09 328xi N51 E46: 05 325xi M54
225 Posts
Cheap sensors cause problems! The shop I use had an e90 in the day a dropped mine off and he said the guy bought a 15 dollar wheel speed sensor from eBay, put it in and still had codes, replaced the transfer case motor (very expensive) still had a code, finally gave up and took it to the shop, he put the computer on it and the cheap 15 dollar sensor was bad (wired incorrectly from factory) and reading backwards, the sensor was telling the ecm that the wheel was spinning backwards. Put in the appropriate OE sensor and problem solved. That 15 dollar sensor cost the guy over 1000 bucks in wasted parts replacement. Use OE parts!!!
As you said, if the reluctor ring is hitting the sensor it will ruin it, mine had rust under it giving the ring out of round and chewing it up. Put in an oe sensor, spin the wheel and make sure it’s not hitting while spinning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.