BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I just ordered 2 cars, X3 M40i 2023 & X5 2023, I saw a post here and someone recommended a specific dealership based on their great experience, I decided to reach out and place a order with the sales person. The sales person told me it will only take 6-8 weeks to receive both cars, is this accurate? I questioned it and he said they have a ton of allocations for SUVs. I talked to a few other BMW stores and they all told me roughly 15-18 weeks. Has anyone ordered a vehicle and actually received it in that time frame?
He did provide me with the production number but i just find it hard to believe you can order vehicles so quickly nowadays.

Thanks for any insight in advance.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I ordered a 2021 X5 M50i in August of 2020 and was driving it less than 4 weeks later. They are built in South Carolina, I'm in FL. Lots of folks folding up their wallets and putting off big ticket item purchases with runaway inflation, a recession underway, and now a healthy tax increase on deck for everyone. Can't imagine it taking 15 weeks to get your vehicles my friend.
Good luck with the orders!

·
NateMorin
2022 X5 45e
2 Posts
Yes I have. All depends on the allocations the dealer has and the build timelines for the specific vehicle. If other dealers are giving you much longer leads times it could be because they have later build allocations or are still waiting to receive some so they're just hoping to get them.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
That timeframe definitely makes sense. As mentioned, your dealer probably has available allocations and of course it depends on where you live. If you are on the East Coast it only takes a couple of days to deliver it to the dealer once built. The West Coast can take several weeks or even months consider the current freight embargo.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay got it, just wanted to make sure haha appreciate the responses. Well I guess if you all are looking for builds, he mentioned X3 (including M40), X4, X5, X6 and X7 all within 6-8 weeks could be sooner for those looking to order. My buddy ordered a X6M today with him and again 6-8 weeks but he mentioned sooner, will keep you all informed!

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
The dealer doesn't automatically get an allocation because he writes a contract with a customer...he's delivering based on his factory allocations. If he has one coming up soon, your order will arrive sooner. He knows when his allocations are. A production number means that BMW has accepted his order against one of his allocations.

·
Registered
248 Posts
The dealer doesn't automatically get an allocation because he writes a contract with a customer...he's delivering based on his factory allocations. If he has one coming up soon, your order will arrive sooner. He knows when his allocations are. A production number means that BMW has accepted his order against one of his allocations.
Very good point made here and that being the fact that the dealer knows what allocations he has which is quite important when there is a vehicle being ordered for a customer. My prefered dealer dealer has become evasive on that issue which is quite frustrating, much rather purchase a unit from dealer stock even if it has some BS options that I would never order. Unfortunately none of that crap will get you a nickel on trade.
In reality the allocation issue is the retailers problem not the customers as we can look elsewhere or just not buy at that time.
Next time a retailer of any product that can be custom ordered hands you the line about allocations being so difficult to come by simply respond with "Sounds like you've got a problem".

1 - 9 of 9 Posts