BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right, this is my first post.....

I have just fitted DVD headrests, they work fine when plugged directly into my cigarette lighter socket as does everything else.

I have just spent half the day removing my interior panels and centre console/arm rest JUST to get to the switched power supply from my socket. I cut and solder a cable from here and ran it inside my arm rest/centre console to the back of the front seats ready to power my DVD screens.

I decided to check everything, I had 14volts at my wires. I connect to the pos and neg wires of my DVD player but, it didnt work. Turns out the inline fuse to the DVD players had blown.

Anyway, I proceeded to check the current at my newly installed cables and with nothing connected, it was running at over 6amps???! I cant figure out why this would be normal, I have checked my cable that I ran it is not caught on anything that may draw current or anything like that. I checked the current directly at the socket itself and still reading 6amps.

Strange thing is though, when plugged into the original socket, using the adaptors, the DVD players work fine, despite this 6amp current in the circuit???....

Any ideas, have I just missed something really stupid??! I have been pretty stressed with having the car to bits today so....!

Thanks in advance!

Darren

P.S. I am an instrument/electrical/electronics technician....this should be pretty straight forward for me?!?!.....

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
What you might be experiencing is the car has not gone to sleep yet. I know some things still can show a current untill the computer puts the entire car to sleep. I cannot remember if this is the case for the switched power supply. I believe the car goes to sleep after 15 min. I hope this helps

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi

Thanks for the reply. Although, I dont think that this is the case as it is a switched supply and only live when the engine is running....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts