BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, recently purchased an E39 and it has the 6 disc changer in the left side of the trunk behind the carpeting. The previous owner had switched to an I-Pod connection from the rear that runs through and comes out the glovebox, but the connection is for one of the old-school I-Pods, so not very useful to me. I wanted to reconnect the CD changer, but I get a little overwhelmed when it comes to wiring. Does anyone know what needs to be plugged in and where if I want to reconnect the CD changer? If anyone has any pictures of their setups that might be useful. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
15,638 Posts
You wiil only have the third cable, a slender coax, if your system is DSP. The display will have a "DSP" button, if so equipped.

The changer will no doubt need lubrication after so many years. Search for E39 changer lube. There are a couple of videos.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You wiil only have the third cable, a slender coax, if your system is DSP. The display will have a "DSP" button, if so equipped.

The changer will no doubt need lubrication after so many years. Search for E39 changer lube. There are a couple of videos.

Awesome thanks guys. My car does have DSP, will be diving into the trunk this weekend when I have some more time to check out the cables underneath the box and if it needs cleaning.

·
Premium Member
7,687 Posts
I used to have a USA Spec Ipod adapter. You can by an Apple 30 pin to lightning cable and continue to use it with an Iphone. It also has phono jacks you can convert to a headphone plug.

I recently swapped to a Bluebus. Worth it.
BlueBus

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I used to have a USA Spec Ipod adapter. You can by an Apple 30 pin to lightning cable and continue to use it with an Iphone. It also has phono jacks you can convert to a headphone plug.

I recently swapped to a Bluebus. Worth it.
BlueBus
Oh I hadn't even thought of that adapter, that might be a good alternative incase the disc changer does indeed need cleaning. Thanks!

Does Bluebus work on the PRE-LCI cars? And is it possible to use without a NAV screen?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@edjack @bmw blue

Hey guys, so I went to take a look today, and I removed the CD changer from the bracket to take a look under/behind it. I was watching the video posted, and I can't really seem to find the cables.

I see the DSP slender cable, one is plugged into the box that was behind the CD changer, and then there's another that's plugged into another similar cable.

The other two cables that plug into the CD changer I don't really see? I see two cables that look like they are taped together with a chip in the middle. Really not sure what they are for, but one looks like it would fit in the cd changer.

If anyone has any insight that'd be great! Thanks!

F6ECC4EC-C23F-459C-88BF-E4E97C8DC9C0.jpeg
346FCA7A-8961-4FF1-80DF-7EA017484025.jpeg
B4ECB0D2-00A1-4142-9A01-9C8FC1618EB4.jpeg
26BC6D90-1BB5-49D9-85CB-7E8F7D3B4892.jpeg
8B18E68D-5DCD-4700-80BE-A4EFCB0ADDFF.jpeg
A119D593-1635-410B-A118-1973EB8E1A18.jpeg
01E1DE5F-9594-4E48-A45A-8F9DD921F99E.jpeg

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So I've pretty much confirmed these are the three wires needed, but two of them are connected together it seems.

Can't tell if it's soldered or what, but that green chip seems new as well. Anyone know the procedure of removing these two from one another?

power_plug.jpeg

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Working now! Thanks everyone, without BMW forums and the internet I would be lost haha.

Also the changer seems to be moving and working without a single issue, thankfully did not need disassembly or any kind of cleaning.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts