BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought an 88 635 with 145000 miles. I was told that the rear main was leaking. When I put it on the lift, I can see the oil coming from up high somewhere around the back of the head. I know it's not the valve cover, because I can see that much of it, and I pulled the valve cover off and the gasket looks brand new. Any ideas? I don't want to do a lot of work that I don't need to.

·
Registered
285 Posts
At the rear of the head there is a metal cover with a gasket held in place with a small number of bolts and you will find that the oil leakage is from here but please please take note of the bolt order because one of the bolts has a special washer on it and it must go back in the correct position.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I thought that was probably where it was coming from but just couldn't see it enough to tell for sure.

·
Registered
285 Posts
cover

This cover covers the access hole for the camshaft whilst the cam bearings are being machined in the factory and this is where you insert and withdraw the camshaft. Peter

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, I fixed the cover, the bolts were loose and I replaced the gasket. Now I cleaned all the oil off and drove the car and now I have fresh oil around the bottom of the head at the back, but it is not coming from the plate, there is no oil around it at all. It is on the left side and running around the right side and down the front of the transmission and back of the block. Looks like it's coming from somewhere under the intake. Any ideas??

·
Registered
285 Posts
oil leak

I'm sure that you will find that the oil is leaking from the engine oil pressure switch which is located at the end of the cylinder head by number six intake port, As the engine is slanted the oil will run across the top of the transmission housing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm sure that you will find that the oil is leaking from the engine oil pressure switch which is located at the end of the cylinder head by number six intake port, As the engine is slanted the oil will run across the top of the transmission housing.
Yep, I just had to change mine. The oil coming out was hard to detect, but $6.50 later, no more leak!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts