BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

:'(

2K views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  bayerisheteknik 
#1 ·
After 8 1/2 months of ownership and 25K miles on my 02 e65 @ 140xxx my alternator finally crapped the bed :thumbdwn:
Got a new 180 amp on its way, doing it this weekend. Never heard an alternator sound like a knocking engine (bearings seizing) :yikes: scared the hell out of me i thought she was going to blow up on me :rofl:
just wanted to share my pain :mad: but I guess i expect that with this mileage.
also thought i'd share with anybody who's e65/6 w/ watercooled and was wondering about the alternator whether they had a 150 or a 180 according to realoem:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=GL63&mospid=47777&btnr=12_1153&hg=12&fg=20
all models with
Steering wheel heater
or
Active seat for driver and passenger
or
Seat heating driver/passenger
or
Seat heating, rear
or
Coolbox
or
Automatic air conditioning
S248A=Yes

S455A=Yes

S494A=Yes

S496A=Yes

S525A=Yes

S534A=Yes
incase you dont even like to contact dealers :thumbup:

#2 ·
After 8 1/2 months of ownership and 25K miles on my 02 e65 @ 140xxx my alternator finally crapped the bed :thumbdwn:
Got a new 180 amp on its way, doing it this weekend. Never heard an alternator sound like a knocking engine (bearings seizing) :yikes: scared the hell out of me i thought she was going to blow up on me :rofl:
just wanted to share my pain :mad: but I guess i expect that with this mileage.
also thought i'd share with anybody who's e65/6 w/ watercooled and was wondering about the alternator whether they had a 150 or a 180 according to realoem:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=GL63&mospid=47777&btnr=12_1153&hg=12&fg=20
all models with
incase you dont even like to contact dealers :thumbup:
sorry about what happened...got my 7 series couple weeks ago 02 e65 and had to change the water cooled alternator as the previous owner""crook"" put the wrong one inside...so i had to buy new 180amp alt from dealer,also did the alternator bracket oil gasket....mine has 120k miles....
if you have 180amp then the clip connector will not fit 150amp one since 150amp alt has different connector..btw i got 150amp one for sale
good luck with repairs:thumbup:

#3 ·
thanks and thats what i was trying to avoid myself , id hate to do all that to realise its the wrong one :yikes: and thanks, i should be okay with the TIS instructions, first time on this car though so im sure I'll learn abit

#7 ·
Yeah the sound is embarrassing, then the christmas light show on my dash shortly after wasnt comforting either :eek:

its not that complicated...good thing is you have done 25k miles on your flagship..me i brought mine home,next day getting ready to wax it,clean it and i found a oil leak on the driver side..so it was alternator bracket gasket...common thing on e65..so after taking everythin off i found out that those idiots(previous owners) put in a 150amp alternator instead of 180 amp....so i was really pxxxx
but now car drives like a dream....after you'll change the alternator,hopefully you don't have to change the alternator bracket gasket...you'lll be good for a long time....
but good luck and keep us posted:thumbup:

here is my link doing the same job...
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=637030&highlight=alternator+bracket+oil+leak
while im in there i might as well check out alot of stuff and see what i find :thumbup:

#9 ·
well took 2 hours but shes all set
while i was in there noticed that my bracket gasket appeared okay no oil around the alt however i noticed the small hoses that connected before and after the mass air sensor were dry rotted so i replaced them also bank 2 (driver side) VCGs and plug tubes should be done and i thought the water/alt/ps tensioner should be replaced. other than that it looked pretty good :thumbup:
hopefully i wont have to change it for the rest of the time i own it :eeps:

#11 ·
no I got it from autozone.
I know some people are against it but 500 dollars + lifetime warranty beats the hell out of 1088 and a couple year warranty IMO, worse case scenario i have to swap it out again, which i don't see happening the code for the generator fault is no longer present and the battery is staying charged according to INPA
I despise dealer parts pricing except on certain little things I don't mind but on things that i've replaced like alternator(bearing went after 25K of me owning it), EMF(dead upon purchase), logic7 amp (dead upon purchase) and replaced my old cd nav (this was just a personal preference upgrade) with dvd nav (last 3 i got from a salvage yard in tiverton ri) i'd never buy these sort of things from the dealer unless of course i ABSOLUTELY had to :eeps:

#12 ·
you would think that bmw would go down on price,since they only used h2o cooled alt for 2 years...but no they are asking crazy money even though all alt are rebuilt even the ones from dealer....well i got lucky since they messed up the order so i payed 700 for the one from dealer...but still crazy money...for that kind of money it should be at least gold plated :D

DEALERS make their living of people here in states...most importantly of people who can't work on their bmw

talked to my buddy in slovakia and he said price for alt back home is around 300 euros..

btw with 140k miles do you have like a slight jerk from 1 to 2 on your tranny??

im too lazy to drop the pan and change the fluid on mine..maybe its quibo....who knows

good day

#13 ·
I don't have that jerk/hesitation I've read about it though. The car upshifts smooth and downshifts smooth IDK if the tranny has ever even been serviced, although I probably will do it if i ever feel it is acting strange.
300 euros i wish :yikes:
either way was much cheaper so its all good. when inspecting the underside of my car while i had it on the lift, everything appeared pretty good considering its an 02 but i dont wanna speak too soon :thumbup:

#14 ·
thats great ehhh...do a job and turns out good:thumbup:
after my alt replacement+alt bracket gasket i checked for leaks and dry...complete engine from top to bottom with 120k miles is dry....
140k miles on bmw is nothing....those engines should do 300k+before doing headgasket etc etc as long as you keep up with oil,cooling,tune up and don't push the car too much...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.