BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

645 system software update

2134 Views 8 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  gofastdoug
So the car is at the $tealers for a broken roll-protection sensor. They got the new part, and installed it - but the cars needs updated software to make it work. They plugged in the car and since it hadn't been updated since 2005; it will take 12hrs to get it to current.

Whose got money that I will see it after they are done with it?
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
You are lucky, the iDrive software did not start to get good until CIP 27-CIP30.x.

You are probably running around with 15 or 16.x.
So the car is at the $tealers for a broken roll-protection sensor. They got the new part, and installed it - but the cars needs updated software to make it work. They plugged in the car and since it hadn't been updated since 2005; it will take 12hrs to get it to current.

Whose got money that I will see it after they are done with it?
I'm lucky because I'll be getting something better right...?
Wow - got it back at 430ish....and they told me around 1pm it would take 12 hours according to the programming station.

Here it is in all it's glory...Supposedly they did the MP3 retro too, however I tried 2 MP3 cd's (with folders on it) and they were not supported in neither the DVD nor CD player (in dash). I'm going to try just a flat CD with MP3s and see what I get, but are others having luck with MP3 CD's with Folders?
Thanks

Attachments

Good luck in trying to get the MP3 to play. I tried twice and each time they said they've completed the update but I am not able to play MP3 at all. But like I've said before, not really missing that feature since the motor and muffler is music to my ears :D
Is the software any faster? I have an 05 and they did the mp3 update 6 months ago. I can play a MP3 discs, but my idrive seems sooo slow at times. Especially when i start the car. I wonder if they updated the entire software or just added the mp3 function? Any thoughts? They also added the AUX.

I'm wondering if the new software would speed up my system at all. Or maybe I already have it, how can I find out?

Thanks
To find out I did the usual key in position 1 or 2, wait for idrive to boot on the main menu hold down idrive button for 8-10 secs, 3 clicks to the right, 1 right, 1 left, 1 right, and then press the idrive and it will bring up a red button to press. The first menu option will show the same screen i posted.

As for what i can do now and speed: Still can't play MP3s, i think it's the drive is too old (model year 2004, prod date 12/03). It is a bit slower to boot, however once your in it's faster and has more features than I had before (i.e. POI in nav, RDS, better sticky menu/buttons).

I like it better overall as they upgraded the entire system software. So it shifts better from a stop or rolling stop and seems to perform a bit better.
I have the same issues. I had the mp3 update done about 6 months ago also on my 05 645 and it will play mp3's in the CD, never tried it in the DVD as I leave the Navigation DVD in there all the time, and my IDrive is very slow. There are times when I press the volume up/down or even rotate the nob and get no response for about 10 seconds. Then it will work just fine, but still be slow to respond to inputs alot of the times.

Is the software any faster? I have an 05 and they did the mp3 update 6 months ago. I can play a MP3 discs, but my idrive seems sooo slow at times. Especially when i start the car. I wonder if they updated the entire software or just added the mp3 function? Any thoughts? They also added the AUX.

I'm wondering if the new software would speed up my system at all. Or maybe I already have it, how can I find out?

Thanks
Wow - got it back at 430ish....and they told me around 1pm it would take 12 hours according to the programming station.

Here it is in all it's glory...Supposedly they did the MP3 retro too, however I tried 2 MP3 cd's (with folders on it) and they were not supported in neither the DVD nor CD player (in dash). I'm going to try just a flat CD with MP3s and see what I get, but are others having luck with MP3 CD's with Folders?
Thanks
How did you get to this screen? Is there a way to find out what software version I have?
Its really bad when i start the car and I was blasting a station (when i turned the car off) and I can't adjust the volume or change the station for roughly 10 seconds after i start it. I guess you can't make a slow computer run faster with just an update.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.