BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had this problem? I pull in the garage, push the stop button, pull out the key fob, open the door, AND THE RADIO IS STILL ON!!!. I go through the entire stop/start process a couple of times, put the car in gear and then back to park, change audio inputs(FM, CD, Sat.), get out, lock it, AND THE RADIO IS STILL ON!!!. Let me clarify here--I could have left the CD or SAT. on if I had not switched back to radio. After a few minutes I come back and the sound system has finally shut itself off. I go through the sequence again and everything seems normal. Am I about to have a major I-Drive screw-up? I have about 4000 miles on my vehicle, and I was hoping to be one of the lucky problem free guys. Cobra Dave, are you listening?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
8,650 Posts
gotwish said:
Has anyone had this problem? I pull in the garage, push the stop button, pull out the key fob, open the door, AND THE RADIO IS STILL ON!!!. I go through the entire stop/start process a couple of times, put the car in gear and then back to park, change audio inputs(FM, CD, Sat.), get out, lock it, AND THE RADIO IS STILL ON!!!. Let me clarify here--I could have left the CD or SAT. on if I had not switched back to radio. After a few minutes I come back and the sound system has finally shut itself off. I go through the sequence again and everything seems normal. Am I about to have a major I-Drive screw-up? I have about 4000 miles on my vehicle, and I was hoping to be one of the lucky problem free guys. Cobra Dave, are you listening?
Dude, just go the dealer. :thumbup: If you do a search, this issue is covered with a software upgrade.
 

·
ex-M couper
Joined
·
1,750 Posts
It sounds like the stereo is connected to the "maintained power" that powers the glove box light and the flashlight charger and perhaps a few other things for a few minutes after shutdown. I actually think that's a pretty cool way to do it, but it's not as spec'ed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,366 Posts
I wish mine would keep the sounds on until I open the door (not exactly your problem.) On many occasions, I will turn the car off, but remain in the car. I wish the cd/radio would continue to play until I open the door.
 

·
///M for Motor Sports!
Joined
·
2,946 Posts
Here's The Reason...

My first question for you is do you have a BT phone connected to your 650i when this occurs.

If so, you now know why your radio remains on while you have essentially turned off the car taking out the key fob etc...

The experience you are having is really not a issue but logic by the Germans definition. The car radio remains on because the BT (Module in your car) has not disconnected from your phone (The sender). The computer is doing only what it is designed to do and that is maintain the connection, thus the radio remains on.

To test this theory, take your phone out of the car with you and lock the car. If the radio remains on (Active) then look at your phone and you should notice the BT is active. Go into your phone and turn off the BT of power the phone off. As soon as you disconnect watch the car turn off.

Wahla! You have proved my theory.

Okay, okay... some may say as soon as you turn off the car, BT should disconnect. I will grant you that but life would be pretty boring if we did not have what we perceive to be issues and complain about them.

Hope this was helpful.
 

·
///M for Motor Sports!
Joined
·
2,946 Posts
Yep

Boxboss said:
I wish mine would keep the sounds on until I open the door (not exactly your problem.) On many occasions, I will turn the car off, but remain in the car. I wish the cd/radio would continue to play until I open the door.
I was thinking the same thing.:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think gbelton has figured this out!!! After driving my 650 for 7 months, I was on the phone pulling in tonight, and the signal dropped to nothing (I get terrible Cingular reception at my house). This may have had something to do with the perceived weirdness I experienced. I might be able to avoid having to go the dealer and having to drive a 5-series or maybe even a 3-series loaner. Thanks!!!!
 

·
ex-M couper
Joined
·
1,750 Posts
gbelton said:
My first question for you is do you have a BT phone connected to your 650i when this occurs.

If so, you now know why your radio remains on while you have essentially turned off the car taking out the key fob etc...

The experience you are having is really not a issue but logic by the Germans definition. The car radio remains on because the BT (Module in your car) has not disconnected from your phone (The sender). The computer is doing only what it is designed to do and that is maintain the connection, thus the radio remains on.

To test this theory, take your phone out of the car with you and lock the car. If the radio remains on (Active) then look at your phone and you should notice the BT is active. Go into your phone and turn off the BT of power the phone off. As soon as you disconnect watch the car turn off.

Wahla! You have proved my theory.

Okay, okay... some may say as soon as you turn off the car, BT should disconnect. I will grant you that but life would be pretty boring if we did not have what we perceive to be issues and complain about them.

Hope this was helpful.
If that is the case, then something is wrong. My Motorola PEBL is almost always on and on my belt. BT is active and works fine. The radio never stays on after I remove the fob/key. Maybe it has something to do with Comfort Access (which I do not have) not thinking that you are "done" using your car until you get out of range of the RF signal.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,612 Posts
gbelton said:
Okay, okay... some may say as soon as you turn off the car, BT should disconnect. I will grant you that but life would be pretty boring if we did not have what we perceive to be issues and complain about them.

Hope this was helpful.
Very well thought out Duke. I belong to the second group you described: park car, press start/stop button, remove fob from insertion, BT disconnects completely (or if fob is not in insertion, then everything shuts when I lock the car to leave).
 

·
///M for Motor Sports!
Joined
·
2,946 Posts
Okay it's a Glitch

Thanks Lord Sidious. "Don't fear the Darkside..."

I believe the common theme (95%) of the 6er population fall in the second group as described. This symptom,glitch,error,issue or whatever someone wishes to call it can remedy this experience by simply updating their mobil core system OS. (Go to your local Verizon or Cingular center)

Yes, I am sure you can get an update from the BMW center but I bet'cha that without a mobil core system OS update chances are you will experience this symptom,glitch,error,issue or whatever again.:tsk: Sounding like a Pessimist I know but if you understood how software works when integration occurs between hardware and software and from different vendors...It's a lot my friend.

If it's any consolation, I have the same experience every once in a while.:D
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top