BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have $674.74 to spend on mods for my 99 jet black 528iA non-sport. It's in decent shape with 62k miles, an air horn delete, a tag delete (blank butt instead of 528i on the back), and I just ordered some clear side markers off ebay.

Basically a few months ago (like around March), my dad told me if I got a 2100 or higher on the May SAT he'd get me a subwoofer for the car (estimate cost $500). I ended up getting a 2130, but I didn't want the subwoofer. The thing is, every time I think of something to get, I then think about how it really isn't necessary and probably won't be worth the money.

So here I am, with $174.74 of leftover summer job money and $500 that my dad will give me (plus or minus a few bucks), and no idea of what to get.

I've thought about the following:
-Hood repaint ($480) because the hood is full over bird crap etchings, a few dents, and it is generally horribly ugly in the sun.
-M-technic front bumper ($500-600 I think). But is it REALLY worth it? I always think about whether it'll draw attention to the hood (which would still look crappy)
-Angel Eyes by Umnitza ($500ish). I know I'd notice them, but I don't know how much other people would really respect them (you can call me vain, but... well just call me vain :) )
-M5 Rear Sway ($100-150). Seems like a great mod and it's relatively cheap so I'll probably do this one no matter what.
-Suspension upgrade (???). Can I afford coilovers that are worth getting? Of course I'd have to ditch the rear sway bar, but at 62k with stock suspension ANY new suspension will feel amazing in comparison. HOWEVER, my suspension is still in OK shape right now (I assume because most of the miles were city/town--granted it's NJ.

EDIT
Forgot to say I was thinking about wheels, but I'd have to go used w/ tires and I don't think I can get anything too great. I have 16" stock w/e number it is.

Does anyone have any input to help me out here?

·
You Lick It, You Own It
14,417 Posts
when the hell did SAT's went over 1600?????

man, times have changed.

PS, i can send you some pictures of my P39's. i had some medical emergency lately that i had to take care of... school tomorrow to get classes and wednesday is MSR day.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well right now my car's getting a nasty rust spot removed. Right above the rear bumper, behind the wheel well on the driver's side is a 4-6in by 2-3in bubbled up rust spot that I'm getting removed. The car won't be back until Wednesday night so no MSR for me :/

SAT's changed 2 years ago. Now instead of Math and Reading (or w/e english was called), there's math, critical reading, and writing (which is 74 multiple choice and an essay graded out of 12). Each section is out of 800, so the total is 2400. 99% of the schools treat math and critical reading like the old SAT, and the writing as either an equivalent, nothing, or an SAT II. They also use it to compare to your admissions essays to make sure you're the one writing them.

I got a 690 on math and crit reading, and a 750 on the writing section, which is what really saved my ass :) I'm taking them again though, because going from a 1380 to a 1400 is apparently a big deal to most schools and really helps you in admissions.

@markseven
What's CCA HPDE?

·
Registered
146 Posts
yeah, seriously, I felt really dumb for a second when I recalled my SAT score and compared it to 2100...

what's a high school kid doing with a 5 series? You shoulda gotten something less... geriatric

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I realize I threadjacked myself by talking about the SAT, but can we please keep this thread on topic? I don't want this to turn into another "What do you think when you see a 17yr old with a bimmer?" thread.

@stash182
Without going into anything, there are a decent amount of people on this forum who are around my age and have a 5 series (I think at least one bought it for himself). The fact is, my dad was able to give it to me. For whatever reasons, he gave it to me. It's a safe car, not necessarily a ticket-magnet, and it was paid for 4 years ago (was a lease). I don't mean to sound rude-i'm not trying to- but again I don't want to go into this any further in this thread. If you want to discuss this anymore just post another thread.

Back to the mods! :)

·
1 Red 540
359 Posts
I say paint the hood, but you can do better than 480 or sand it down yourself and then take it to them... I look at it like when i see a civic with cool-moderate rims and sun beat peeling paint everywhere. A clean stock 5 (or any bmw) looks better than a half ass one. Do the hood and shop around; after you get that right then look at other stuff. Just my .02.

I had a big motor project planned that will happen but after i tore my bumper pretty good on a parking stub i decided to replace it with an m-tech front . Granted it is an upgrade it is still replacing what is broken . Again it is just my .02

Edit:
P.S. I am 20 and i own this car (buying myself) and sat i bought a daily driver focus zx3 (also buying myself) . I dont get mad or upset when i see younger or similar age kids with nicer cars. Its just the kids who dont respect or appretiate whats given to them that hurts me. If you know you were lucky to get what you had or understand the value of a dollar then lucky you.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I looked around and everyone quoted around 480. I asked a little while ago about sanding it myself and he said they'd rather do it.

·
Stimulus Package
4,245 Posts
lex89 said:
@markseven
What's CCA HPDE?
BMW Car Club of America High Performance Driver's Education.

·
Registered
72 Posts
lex89 said:
I looked around and everyone quoted around 480. I asked a little while ago about sanding it myself and he said they'd rather do it.
Well of course they'd rather do it, they're getting paid. I'd recommend, if you think you could do a decent job, sand it yourself. After that, save your money, and stick with mods that surve a purpose. Nothings wrong with the m-tech bumpers, but I wouldn't spend the money.

·
Registered
641 Posts
x2 on the BMW CCA HPDE. If you must on mods, headlights.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I say, get the hood paainted, get the sway bar and a spoiler. You can save and get some rims later.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hey Im 16 and have a 528i, so its all good. By the way, is it the 5spd or the auto. If its the 5spd, get the following:
1)Modified CDV from Zechansaun (or however you spell it, someone correct me on this): $35.00
2)Clutch stop: $25.00
3)Rogue SSK: $250.00
And you'll be much happier driving your car. That is...if you have the 5spd.

If you have auto...I heard M5 swaybar yields great results and is pretty cheap. But either way, get the hood repainted if you have to. Its not gunna stop bugging you

·
1.888.JLEVISW
3,247 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Does the remote activation kit work with those? Also, I'm a little confused. You say "projector based xenons and angel eyes". I'm pretty sure I'm not getting a xenon upgrade for 469 though :). Could you please clarify that? Thanks

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
stash182 said:
yeah, seriously, I felt really dumb for a second when I recalled my SAT score and compared it to 2100...

what's a high school kid doing with a 5 series? You shoulda gotten something less... geriatric
Why is a 5 series geriatric? Compared to my 540 your 323 moves like an old lady with a walker!!:rofl:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.