BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Josh
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I have a 2004 645CI that I purchased in July of 2009 with 34000 miles on it. The car runs and drives great with a few exceptions... I have a few questions I am hoping some of you can help me out with.

First of all, when I bought the car, it already had M6 Rims on it 245/35 front, 275/30 Rear. I installed H&R Lowering springs on it almost immediately because I like the look. I noticed a pretty good shudder at around 60-75 MPH when I am on the Highway so I took it down to BMW to get the tire balance and alignment checked. The alignment was a little out, but nothing major. When I picked it up from BMW (post alignment, balancing) I noticed it drove tighter at lower speeds, but still had a shudder at 65-75 MPH. The shudder creates less movement in the wheel, but is of a higher frequency than before. My question is that I have been told that lowering a 6 without getting adjustable camber plates could cause it to not allow alignment as the stock setup. I also know that the stock camber plates on the 6 series were adjustable from the factory, but Dinan sells an adjustable camber plate that allows more adjustment than the factory plates.

So is my shudder problem something that I have done, or are most 6's prone to this problem? Is it my rims, or the lowering springs... is there something to be done about this, or should I just deal with the shudder at higher speeds?

My only other question about how my 6er runs is, when I first start it up in the morning, I always notice that my transmission (6sd manual) shifts really clunky! By that I mean mainly when I shift from first to second there is a definitive clunk. It's a very crisp and tight shift, it just makes a lot of noise. Is this a normal occurrence to anyone else, or should I have it looked at?

Any insight would be most helpful. Thanks!!!

·
laddcruzer
254 Posts
Aloha Detour,
Where can you go 65/75 mph around Honolulu? As for your shake and clunk issues, I believe they both are not normal or acceptable. But fixable. The car is not that old or has that many miles on it. You just need to find somebody that knows what they are doing. That can be a problem, even on the mainland. Good luck.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I agree your car should not shutter at 65-75 MPH. Even if you get a full alignment and wheels balanced, your tires may be "cupped" or a wheel may be out of round which is causing the shutter. I dont think it has anything to do with lowering your car.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts