BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I test drove an e90 330i MT a couple days ago. Overall I liked the tranny, and my next car will probably an e90 MT.

I have one question, though. I noticed that there was a little jerk when I stepped on the clutch/released gas, getting ready to shift from 1st to 2nd. I'm not talking about the jerks happening when you complete the shift and let go of the clutch pedal. The jerk happened just by depressing the clutch pedal while the gear still in 1st. I

I tried to do a search on this, but couldn't find anything. Does everyone else feel this? Is this normal?

·
Skxawng
457 Posts
1) you may have released gas before you pressed clutch.
In this case car stopped to engine-brake and you feel pushed to the seat
2) you pressed clutch before releasing gas.
In this case car stopped to accelerate and you feel pushed to the wheel.
3) you may have moved gear selector out of 1st gear without clutch fully depressed
This case is similar to 2), but adds extra tranny "jerks". You may not want to do this on regular basis.

When made my test drive the clutch, shifter, gas pedal setup was a perfect match for my reflexes - all gear changes were smooth. It was surprising :)

·
Registered
146 Posts
If I'm interpreting your issue properly, I think this is something that has been discussed before: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=152824&highlight=clunk.

I've had my 330i 6MT for only a few days. I have felt/heard the jerk/clunk you described on several less than perfect upshifts from 1st to 2nd gear. I have found with this 6MT it is best not to completely take your foot off the gas during upshifts. Continuing to apply a blip of gas during upshifts makes for much smoother upshifts. If you let the revs drop too low during the 1st to 2nd upshift your get the clunk from the tranny with a bit of jerk. You can also feel the stick jump in your hand.

As you become more comfortable with the idiosyncrasies of this tranny, the issue you describes goes away with improved upshifts.

·
Registered
339 Posts
In addition to what I had wrote in that "clunk" thread, I also noticed the car doesn't like to be shifted below 3K rpm from 1st to 2nd. If I shift at around or below 2K rpm from 1st to 2nd, I can reproduce that clunky sound and jerk each time I push in the clutch, unless I push the clutch in very gently.

·
Registered
146 Posts
PhaseP said:
In addition to what I had wrote in that "clunk" thread, I also noticed the car doesn't like to be shifted below 3K rpm from 1st to 2nd. If I shift at around or below 2K rpm from 1st to 2nd, I can reproduce that clunky sound and jerk each time I push in the clutch, unless I push the clutch in very gently.
Agreed. I encountered the clunk the first day I had my car and through some searching came across the thread to which you had responded that perfectly described what I had experienced. It clearly has something to do with using the clutch to unload pressure on the tranny at a time when the load on it is particularly high, causing the jarring. As you stated, as long as you keep the revs up during the 1st to 2nd upshift, this issue goes away.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts