BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '07 X3 6 Sp Auto--starting from dead stop making right on red turn--push on gas and very slow acceleration--almost got rear ended, gear with exclamation mark blinks on gage panel--car has only 2 gears forward and SD does not work at all. When slowing down the trans downshifts so hard it feels like getting rear-ended. Took to dealer and got a '04 X3 3.0 5sp auto for loaner. Makes me wish I had a 5 speed--It shifted smooth and just a touch on the gas and a nice gentle down shift not 2 seconds later like the 6 sp. The SD mode was smooth also. My trans has been acting strange for the last 2 weeks--hard up shifts and delay down shifts. So at least I should get a "reprogram"--I will repost as soon as I get it back. Just beware that when this happens there is very poor acceleration from a dead stop and when stopped you can take your foot off the brake and the car will not creep! BTW the '04 has 22k on the clock and creaks and rattles like an old beater--I hope mine don't get like this in 20,000 miles or it will be traded in--But the '04 trans is much better and the 3.0 engine goes better than I expected--the '07 definitely rides better (neither had sport package--'04 has 17" my '07 has 18" wheels. Stay tuned--:rolleyes:

·
Tar Heel Faithful
14,127 Posts
Ah yes, I too am glad my '04 X3 has the old 5-speed. At least it doesn't hesitate and is geared better.

·
Powder Days
1,995 Posts
Love my 6 speed manual. Tough to screw up the software program on a bunch of gears and a clutch.:angel:

Cheers

·
Premium Member
14,837 Posts
My '07 X3 6 Sp Auto--starting from dead stop making right on red turn--push on gas and very slow acceleration--almost got rear ended, gear with exclamation mark blinks on gage panel--car has only 2 gears forward and SD does not work at all. When slowing down the trans downshifts so hard it feels like getting rear-ended. Took to dealer and got a '04 X3 3.0 5sp auto for loaner. Makes me wish I had a 5 speed--It shifted smooth and just a touch on the gas and a nice gentle down shift not 2 seconds later like the 6 sp. The SD mode was smooth also. My trans has been acting strange for the last 2 weeks--hard up shifts and delay down shifts. So at least I should get a "reprogram"--I will repost as soon as I get it back. Just beware that when this happens there is very poor acceleration from a dead stop and when stopped you can take your foot off the brake and the car will not creep! BTW the '04 has 22k on the clock and creaks and rattles like an old beater--I hope mine don't get like this in 20,000 miles or it will be traded in--But the '04 trans is much better and the 3.0 engine goes better than I expected--the '07 definitely rides better (neither had sport package--'04 has 17" my '07 has 18" wheels. Stay tuned--:rolleyes:
Dug - Dang that stinks. Hope it works out for the best.

·
Ukemi - that's how I roll
4,252 Posts
Welcome to the 07 screwed up community!:(

·
Registered
323 Posts
Maybe you should try octane booster :D

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Maybe you should try octane booster :D
Thanks--I will mention that to the service manager first thing Monday morn--that should save them from troubleshooting and I will get my car back sooner--:D

·
Registered
133 Posts
check online all the other transmissions issues with the X3. This sounds like all the others.

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
Hey, the good news in all this is it got you home/to the dealer without stranding you in a nasty part of town or on the side of a dark road. Time was when the box broke that happened a lot. Too bad about your loaner, sounds like it was rode hard and put away wet. Amazing that an '04 would only have 20K on it and sound so trashy, could the odometer be wrong? I have 24K on my '06 and it is as tight as a drum with no rattles creaks or groans. The 5 speed auto is seamless and a joy to drive too, but then you know that already! Good luck and I hope they replace your busted box with a new late series replacement to avoid future problems.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey, the good news in all this is it got you home/to the dealer without stranding you in a nasty part of town or on the side of a dark road. Time was when the box broke that happened a lot. Too bad about your loaner, sounds like it was rode hard and put away wet. Amazing that an '04 would only have 20K on it and sound so trashy, could the odometer be wrong? I have 24K on my '06 and it is as tight as a drum with no rattles creaks or groans. The 5 speed auto is seamless and a joy to drive too, but then you know that already! Good luck and I hope they replace your busted box with a new late series replacement to avoid future problems.
I think it suffers from the "creaky door" problem that has been addressed many times in this forum with no fix noted...The salesman took it right off the lot it is an '04 3.0i--with 24k miles and it is a CPO--I would never buy a vehicle that creaked and squeeked like this--its like driving a 10 year old mini-van. The 3.0i works very nicely with the 5sp trans and it seems like it has a nicer low end torque delivery then my '07--but the '04 engine has a noticeable drone and does not sound as refined as the new 3.0 engine and I reset the trip computer and it is almost 2 MPG less than the '07. So now that I drove both it is for sure that the '07 is much better--quieter, better ride, better MPG, but the trans sucks..:thumbdwn: Also the interior on the '04 looks and feels "rubbermaid" compared to the '07--so some improvement there.:thumbup:

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
Well, it appears that improvements have been made since '04. My '06 has no "drone" nor the dreaded door seal problem. It rides about as well as the '07 non sport that I drove as a loaner, no worse, no better over rough roads. I happen to like a rubbermaid interior, especially in the back cargo area where I haul a lot of "stuff". To each his own, and I will be waiting for the diesel option to upgrade whenever that shows up in CA. Good luck with your transmission!

·
Registered
173 Posts
My '07 X3 6 Sp Auto--starting from dead stop making right on red turn--push on gas and very slow acceleration--almost got rear ended, gear with exclamation mark blinks on gage panel--car has only 2 gears forward and SD does not work at all. When slowing down the trans downshifts so hard it feels like getting rear-ended. Just beware that when this happens there is very poor acceleration from a dead stop and when stopped you can take your foot off the brake and the car will not creep!
Dug - exact problem my wife and I encountered this past weekend - but after shutting the car off and sitting a few, it came back fine and drove perfectly all weekend. Taking it to the dealer next Monday to get it checked out, but would sure love to have some information when we take it it. Did you ever get your situation resolved? Or did you get the 'BMW computer salute' :)dunno:) from service? Appreciate any info you might have gotten on this - thanks!!

Bill

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Dug - exact problem my wife and I encountered this past weekend - but after shutting the car off and sitting a few, it came back fine and drove perfectly all weekend. Taking it to the dealer next Monday to get it checked out, but would sure love to have some information when we take it it. Did you ever get your situation resolved? Or did you get the 'BMW computer salute' :)dunno:) from service? Appreciate any info you might have gotten on this - thanks!!

Bill
I was able to drive right into the dealer and got a loaner They updated to SIB 24 07 07--big improvement--but as the months passed it is getting "bumpy" again. The coasting downshifts in SP are very hard and the delayed upshifts returned in "D". My first maintenance is coming up in about a month..dealer said he would reprogram trans and engine computer. Search previous posts (last week) for the latest SIB Numbers for the trans program. Good luck..
The limp mode experience is scary and dangerous--I think if it happened when I needed to accelerate fast (like merging into traffic on a ramp) I would have been screwed. The downshift during "limp mode" is violent to say the least--I was afraid it was going to wreck the trans..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts