BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, thanks to all of the Bimmerfest folks for putting this wealth of information on Euro Delivery. I was able to find answers to most of the question or what to do. I am all set to go next week to pick up my 535xi with m-sport. We are taking delivery for 2 535 xi, the second one is for my father, who also got excited when I told him about the Euro delivery. We plan to drop off Dad’s car the same day and drive the entire trip in mine with M-Sport.

Here is my planned itinerary, but I am keeping the options open as we go. SPG allows change hotel reservation upto 6 PM on the date of arrival.

Please comments if I should change anything or plan a better route. Originally I was planning to skip Venice and goto Cumo. But changed my mind thinking that I have better chance of good weather toward the south
The Plan
10/21 - Leave EWR at 8 PM
10/22 - Arrive at 10 AM. pick up by Rolf, explore Munich, night at Munich Le Meridian
10/23 - Delivery Day, day trips to Salzburg (or something else) night at Munich
10/24 - Drive thru Grossglockner and spend night at Bolzano ( Four Point)
10/25 - Drive from Bolzano to Padova, explore Padova if possible, night at Padova
10/26 - take train to venice, explore Venice, night in Padova ( Sheraton)
10/27 - explore Venice, at night leave for Florence (Sheraton)
10/28 - explore Florence
10/29 - Leave Florence, stop at Pisa, Lake Garda and night at Bolzano
10/30 - start early for Munich, have to drop off the car before 12 , night at Le Meridian
10/31 – Fly back at 3 PM

·
Freude am Fahren
19,695 Posts
Are you renting winter tires? It looks like the temperatures will be 0° or below before you arrive and you will not have any traction on the roads since your car as the sport package and summer tires.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Two parts of this make little sense to me:

(1) Are you planning to park outside of Venice on the 27th and leave from there? Or will you take the train back to Padova? In either case, you are looking for an evening departure to start a 3-to-4 hour trip on one of the most heavily traveled cross-mountain roads in Europe (the A1). I hope you are awake as you dodge the trucks!

(2) On 10/29 you have over 6 hours of driving, not including stops, meals, gas, etc. ("Look, there's a tower....Look, there's a lake.") Possibly, you could time it for a dinner stop in Sirmione for really good fish, but that will make for a very long day.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are you renting winter tires? It looks like the temperatures will be 0° or below before you arrive and you will not have any traction on the roads since your car as the sport package and summer tires.
I looked up the specs and the tires are all season tires. Do I still need winter tires?

Radial Spoke (Style 237) 18 x 8.0 light alloy wheels, 245/45 run-flat1 all-season tires2

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Two parts of this make little sense to me:

(1) Are you planning to park outside of Venice on the 27th and leave from there? Or will you take the train back to Padova? In either case, you are looking for an evening departure to start a 3-to-4 hour trip on one of the most heavily traveled cross-mountain roads in Europe (the A1). I hope you are awake as you dodge the trucks!

(2) On 10/29 you have over 6 hours of driving, not including stops, meals, gas, etc. ("Look, there's a tower....Look, there's a lake.") Possibly, you could time it for a dinner stop in Sirmione for really good fish, but that will make for a very long day.
Thank you for pointing that out.

1) Yes, I plan to park in Padova and take the train to Venice. Any other recommendation to plan this better.

2) I agree. I can see myself saying that to my wife ... oh that was the lake etc ... on 10/29. I would have broken down the 10/29 drive if I didn't have to reach Munich by 12 noon on 10/30 to drop the car. Any alternative route recommendation?

Thanks in advance.

·
Freude am Fahren
19,695 Posts
I looked up the specs and the tires are all season tires. Do I still need winter tires?

Radial Spoke (Style 237) 18 x 8.0 light alloy wheels, 245/45 run-flat1 all-season tires2
I saw the mention of M-Sport and assumed you specified the sport tires.

Bad assumption on my part, apparently. Sorry about that.

If you have all-season tires, you will be fine

·
Freude am Fahren
19,695 Posts
10/22 - Arrive at 10 AM. pick up by Rolf, explore Munich, night at Munich Le Meridian
10/25 - Drive from Bolzano to Padova, explore Padova if possible, night at Padova
10/28 - explore Florence
10/30 - start early for Munich, have to drop off the car before 12 , night at Le Meridian
10/31 - Fly back at 3 PM
It seems as if there is one too many destinations in this list. I would cut back.

·
Travel Fever
2,745 Posts
First of all, thanks to all of the Bimmerfest folks for putting this wealth of information on Euro Delivery. I was able to find answers to most of the question or what to do. I am all set to go next week to pick up my 535xi with m-sport. We are taking delivery for 2 535 xi, the second one is for my father, who also got excited when I told him about the Euro delivery. We plan to drop off Dad's car the same day and drive the entire trip in mine with M-Sport.

Here is my planned itinerary, but I am keeping the options open as we go. SPG allows change hotel reservation upto 6 PM on the date of arrival.

Please comments if I should change anything or plan a better route. Originally I was planning to skip Venice and goto Cumo. But changed my mind thinking that I have better chance of good weather toward the south
The Plan
10/28 - explore Florence
10/31 - Fly back at 3 PM
My recommendation would be spend the night at Salzburg instead of going back to Munich. Mind you that the distance between Sheraton and Padova is not that close. I hope hotel offer shuttle for you. You can also choose to park at Venice. Right after the bridge from mainland, there are several big parking garages. Train time, train tickets are pretty much same as you drive and park there. Once you park there, go take a water taxi. It functions like a bus.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Mason. Do you have any recommendation for garages? Have you stayed in Sheraton Padova? They told me that they don't have a garage. It is a open lot. Hope that it is safe there.

·
Travel Fever
2,745 Posts
Thanks Mason. Do you have any recommendation for garages? Have you stayed in Sheraton Padova? They told me that they don't have a garage. It is a open lot. Hope that it is safe there.
Padova is quite safe. I stayed at NH hotel in Padova. It has garages underneath. Don't remember if they charged me. My only complain was bathroom drainage a bit weird and not enough outlets.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts