Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the latest thoughts on suspension options for M Sport? I've read that 704 is too stiff and to go for Adaptive. Is this still the case?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well, it depends a lot on your subjective preferences... The 704 suspension is very stiff. I personally really like it. The car is very stable and you get a great feeling for the road, especially if you are driving fast. But, there are many people, who judge it to be much too stiff. If you are always driving on bumpy roads, it might be too stiff for you. On the other hand, you regain control very fast.

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
What if ...

RWD, 704 suspension and go-flat tires (Michelin Pilot Sport 4S) equals the ride of X-drive with adaptive suspension and RFT? Which one would you pick? I know which I would pick ... :D

Kidding aside, improvement that simply going with go-flat tires brought on my E92 (known for "pothole explosions" on fixed/mechanical sport suspension) ... I would strongly suspect that you will be perfectly fine with 704 and softer Michelin go-flat tires. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I bought the adaptive suspension for just that reason. Test drove the 704 and it was just too harsh on the roads here. Probably fine on a racetrack. The adaptive is softer but very usable in comfort and tighter than the 704 in sport. I did find that the selections only work with the shifter in "S" mode. Software error? This is with RFTs on a G20 M sport

·
2020 Z4 M40i
4,573 Posts
Think adaptive is best for all around daily driver. For a more track focused car would be a custom fixed, semi-adjustable suspension.

·
Novice driver
3,897 Posts
go-flat tires (Michelin Pilot Sport 4S)
+1 for replacing RFT with non run-flat Michelin Pilot Sport 4S on a G20, regardless of suspension setup.

·
Super Moderator
7,998 Posts
I can only comment on my last BMW, a 2014 RWD F30 Sport model with the 704 suspension. The ride was not at all harsh to my tastes but as I intimated, I have not driven a G20 with the 704. The only G20 I've driven was an xDrive 330i with the stock suspension. It was better than the equivalent F30.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts