1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to pick up a 1999-2001 E38 750IL or 740IL
Have a few questions
I am looking to get a low milage car not above 40-55k miles
Should I bypass any car with incomplete or missing service records.
Which car is easier to DIY maintain and more cost efficient the V8 or V12
I know plugs on the V12 is not a DIY
job what years have problems and what should I do as preventive service
this car would be like 15 years old what parts should I service change at this
old to prevent catastrophic probs. I mean like pro active radiator change what else should I service change like bushing and water pump etc.
I will do all fluid swap as soon as I get it.
will also change coils and plugs if its a V8 I know V12 is a big pain.
Also should I hold out for a Sport model or is a non sport about the same handling and ride wise. Please comment if u owned both.
There is a 27k miles non msport on ebay now.
Also I am in the NYC NJ area has anyone used Rennspeed shop in Bergen County
I have always dealer serviced before

·
Registered
320 Posts
If you want a v12, buy a v12. If you want a v12, get a 99-01 facelift.

Drive a few cars, and get the best car.

I have a 2000 750, black on black. I was looking for a 740i black on black. This was the best car I found. I like the v12 A LOT - the v12 has expensive stuff - 2 MAFS, 2 distributor caps, EDC shocks, and all the toys. There's a 25k+ price difference between a 740i and A 750iL. I think you can DIY plugs on a 750, it just takes more time. Learn more at e38.org, and meeknet.co.uk

·
Registered
320 Posts
There is one distinction to be aware of. A 740i sport is a different animal from a 740iL sport. Aside from the wheelbase, there are differences. The 740i ( shorty sporty ) gets the msport struts / 3.15 rear diff, high stall torque converter, and steptronic gear change feature and the sport contour seats. The 740iL will have the EDC struts/shocks, and maybe the steering wheel. There are NO 740i sport cars before 1999/ pre LCI. There's more trivia, but it's getting fuzzy.

·
Registered
12,507 Posts
what years was the 740i sport shorty produced
In the US market...the e38 "sport pkg" was first introduced with the 1999 model year (740i only)...and was offered til the end of production (2001 model year).

The 740iL & 750iL sport pkgs were offered in 2001....but as mentioned above...where not the same thing as the SWB (short wheel base) 740i sport pkg.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all comments i will look for a Shorty Sport if i cant verify service records what things should i do just because the car is 15 years old
Should i do Water pump Cooling system belts tensioners etc timing chain etc
I am looking at car with no more then 60k miles
Please offer advice

·
Registered
320 Posts
There is no cookbook for this. The car is 15 years old -
1) timing chains on a 60k miles car 'should' be fine. This is a mileage based issue.
2) brake fluid, transmission fluid/filter, oil / filter would be key.
3) tires if they are old - you are looking for a car that is low miles. Also battery should be checked / replaced as needed.
4) be prepared for the unexpected to fail - bushings / guibo / shocks.

5) have fun and drive it :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts