BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I having problems woth my 95' bmw 740i. The car starts but a few minutes into driving it stalls. Car starts back up immediatly but then stalls again. Can someone please help!! I had a mechanic look at the car and he said it could be the Idle Air Control Valve. Is it possible or could it be something else?
I just went through this same thing I have the same year and model...... It's the crank shaft position sensor ..... Save yourself the heart ache and get the OEM sensor I got mine from ECS tuning ..... It's a quick fix!! It sits right under the thermostat housing!!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I just went through this same thing I have the same year and model...... It's the crank shaft position sensor ..... Save yourself the heart ache and get the OEM sensor I got mine from ECS tuning ..... It's a quick fix!! It sits right under the thermostat housing!!
Didnt realize this was an old post LOL!!!!!! 馃ぃ馃ぃ馃ぃ

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok 5months and 2crank position sensors later I'm having the same problem again.... The car is shutting off at idle.... Things I have done since we last spoke.... I changed valve cover gaskets and spark plugs.. did an oil treatment using marvel ...... I also used this same brand as a fuel treatment ...... This time when it cut off the dash read "stop engine oil pressure"

Registered
Your car has the M60, which along with the pre-facelift M62's, had an issue with the oil pump bolts backing out. When this happens, you will lose oil pressure. If you are getting this while sitting at idle, I would highly recommend dropping the oil pan to check the bolts. Having said that, it is also common for that light to come on with a hard stop. Many owners have experienced this over the years. I mention it to tell you this; if the car is dying while coming to a stop, that is often cause by a dying MAF. If it's not sending the proper fuel/air mix, it will die as the rpm's drop while coming to a stop.

But again, the pump bolts are a known issue on your car. If it were mine, I would check them either way.

Certifiable BMW Whackjob!
Mayor is correct about the oil pump nut and it is easy to check but the way I understood that was the engine RPM dropped below idle first and that is what caused the low oil pressure message.

@Ejohnson2 have you done a smoke test for any vacuum leaks? Does anything change if you unplug the MAF sensor? What's your battery voltage? If you give it throttle does it run smooth at 1000RPM? 2000RPM? 3000RPM? What are your fuel trims? Can you check fuel pressure at the rail?

Certifiable BMW Whackjob!
To avoid possible confusion to future readers of the other thread I moved this to a new thread.

Important question here...what model year is your car or for better accuracy what is the build date (a good VIN decoder will give that info if you don't already have it).

Reactions: Ejohnson2

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Your car has the M60, which along with the pre-facelift M62's, had an issue with the oil pump bolts backing out. When this happens, you will lose oil pressure. If you are getting this while sitting at idle, I would highly recommend dropping the oil pan to check the bolts. Having said that, it is also common for that light to come on with a hard stop. Many owners have experienced this over the years. I mention it to tell you this; if the car is dying while coming to a stop, that is often cause by a dying MAF. If it's not sending the proper fuel/air mix, it will die as the rpm's drop while coming to a stop.

But again, the pump bolts are a known issue on your car. If it were mine, I would check them either way.
Status update: someone else mentioned the icv so I took it off cleaned it out put it back on I haven't had the problem again (YET).... Car now idles at 500rpm in drive and around 700rpm with ac and lights on....which I hear is a good thing before it was at 1k no ac or lights and around 1200k with them.....

I'm still going to drop the oil pan this weekend at just the bolts and replace the oil pan gasket

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry it took so long to come back I was waiting to see if cleaning the icv did the trick but it didn't ..... So now I guess it's time to drop the oil pan and check the pump....oh I put the car on the scan tool yesterday when it died on me .... No codes no check engine lights not even the "stop engine oil pressure low" message....smh...

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
To avoid possible confusion to future readers of the other thread I moved this to a new thread.

Important question here...what model year is your car or for better accuracy what is the build date (a good VIN decoder will give that info if you don't already have it).
Its a 95 740il build date is 5/1995

1 - 9 of 9 Posts