BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody who experience this problem, please, contact me at [email protected].
Basically all BMW 745 FROM 2002 trough 2005 were built with a pipe inside its engine. This pipe was supose to be build outside of the engine, because it is a wear and tear item that needs to be replace from time to time. What happens is that the coolant run into this pipe and with time it starts to leak, some cars a little bit some a lot. In order to fix the problem, the engine has to come apart to replace a simple pipe, that the INTELIGENT BMW engineers build inside the engine. The result: a 5K + bill to fix due to the labor cost which can run up to 42 hours. It happened to me and my BMW mechanic, who worked in the dealership for years and now has his own shop, explained me exactly the situation and told me that I should not have to pay for it because it is their mistake. It is so true that the 2006 and up, the pipe is build outside the engine. I took to the dealer and I talked to corporate about it. So far I did not have any response, but if they do not fix it, I am filing a lawsuit. Anybody who has the same problem, please contact me. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Another good reason to stay away from the 7 series.:thumbdwn:

·
Bimmerfest Founder
15,712 Posts
I've moved your thread to the 7er forum, you should get a better response here. Good luck getting your problem resolved!

Tim

·
Registered
766 Posts
Only people who cannot afford a 7, buy a 5 series ;)
You must be joking ....there are a lot of people who can easily afford a ferrari but drive a BMW, instead. Does that tell you something?

I have driven it for 5 years, now, if that tells you something.

I like the 7 but not the stigma that comes with it ..... it's hardly a status car, last time I checked.

OP, sorry for highjacking your thread.

·
bmw addiction
7,152 Posts
Were any modifications made to rectify the issues on the other cars? If I'm looking at a 545i I certainly would love to know if this problem is a ticking time bomb on that car as well.
yes they made the 4.8l engine for the 550, 650, X5 4.4, E65/66 750. if the 545 is 03+ then yes its a ticking time bomb

·
Registered
4,641 Posts
You must be joking ....there are a lot of people who can easily afford a ferrari but drive a BMW, instead. Does that tell you something?

I have driven it for 5 years, now, if that tells you something.

I like the 7 but not the stigma that comes with it ..... it's hardly a status car, last time I checked.

OP, sorry for highjacking your thread.
Stigma??? I don't agree with this comment or the comment on what people can and can not afford. Remember you newbie 7-series folks, you probably just bought one for the price of a new accord. Don't get too caught up in the "I drive a $90,000 car" because you don't. However, re Stigma, last time I checked it was the flagship model. Trust me, very few of us here are driving one for status. They are a joy to drive. For the record though, I tried to talk myself into a 5 series and it's just a HUGE drop off from the 7. Small and cheap. Let's not get into a pissing contest between the 5 and 7. This is a BMW forum

·
BMW & Mopar enthusiast
84 Posts
if the 545 is 03+ then yes its a ticking time bomb
wonderful.

btw I can't believe the repair cost quoted here... to tear down an engine. 42 hours is ridiculous. I'm sure that is very inflated. A pro engine builder can tear an engine down and re-build it in way less time than that. I know one personally who builds Hemi engines every day. 42 hours is a rip-off

·
Family Man
135 Posts
I understand the pipe issue. My 2002 failed and it was a major job to repair. Car was in the shop for a week and they removed most of the engine and exhaust. Good luck, I hope your lawsuit is more well written than your post. I don't think you are going to get much traction though. It's not that common of a failure and proving BMW made an engineering mistake will be tough.
I am in the same city as the gentleman starting this thread and experiencing the same problem so it may be more common than you think. Just my 2cents

·
Registered
4,641 Posts
Trust me. I see you have 5 posts here. Hang around a little longer and you will really get a sense of common problems.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Trust me, very few of us here are driving one for status. They are a joy to drive.
With all due respect, this is crock. I don't think *anyone* on here, including yourself, bought this car without thinking in some respect to its status. I was with you until that statement. You might fool others but don't fool yourself.

·
Registered
4,641 Posts
Did you bother reading the content that I wrote and checking my profile (for your newbee and Honda Accord comment)? Edit: Just for the record original owner on both the cars, not that it matters....

I'm glad that you exemplified the "Stigma", I was mentioning in my previous post.

Sad part is that it came from one of the most sensible and mature 7 owner on this forum, at least that's what I thought.

Here , to further illuminate your memory of what you wrote few months ago. Those were your words. :thumbup:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3959843&highlight=stigma#post3959843
Dude, relax, I am pretty sure we are saying the same thing and I was not talking to you specifically. Maybe I was a little quick with the trigger, but thanks for the benefit of the doubt and digging up my old post which I think is consistent with what I was saying and you are saying. So to clarify, this is what I meant, maybe it did not come across well

Stigma - who cares, let's not get caught up in what we drive and what it means.

the Accord - newbie owners, not you, sometimes get caught up in "what they drive" just because they are now affordable. Just putting it into perspective.

Jeesh, my first confrontation here after a year plus. So, I'll give you the benefit of doubt and I'll apologize. Sorry to offend you.

·
Is it Trackday yet?
8,975 Posts
As someone who's included in a class action against BMW with regards to the E46, simply because I own one, I sure hope you do a better job of covering ALL members in the class fairly. The settlement put before us on the subframe tearing issue is bogus and a complete and utter waste of time to anyone who has NOT had the problem yet.

·
Registered
4,641 Posts
With all due respect, this is crock. I don't think *anyone* on here, including yourself, bought this car without thinking in some respect to its status. I was with you until that statement. You might fool others but don't fool yourself.
There is a difference between pride and status.

I think it is time for a break from this place.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I would agree with you if my mechanic, who serve these cars for years, did not agree that this is an engineer defect on the car. If you want to pay for their mistakes, that's your problem and I respect that. I will try to get this right because, I do not know about you, I put a lot of money in this car and it was not worth it. The problem is that most people do not want to fight for their rights, and I am not want of these. Believe me, I will find enough people with the same problem, I already got 3 people on board...

·
BMW & Mopar enthusiast
84 Posts
I'm glad someone is posting about it. I was sure I was getting a 545i until reading about this. Before I bought a 2.7L Dodge Intrepid in 2004 (used), I didn't know of its proneness to failure due to massive engine sludge. Lo and behold, the damn engine failed. Never again will I buy a car known to have engine issues. Especially not when we're talking $20k+ for a decent used 545i with lower miles.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.