BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I drive a big bad MB560sel every day and love it. It has the euro hydro/pneumatic rear on it and the ride is better than anything I've ever driven until Friday.

The bank up the road had an 02 745i with 109k on the odo. I knew the minute she handed me the keys I was in for love at first sight.

The car is the most beautiful bright silver metal flake with 18in stock alloys. I thought it's plain bread 745 not even the 745iL.

Then I found out the L is for long. I already have a car for that. This thing is 250z like in looks and probably performance - anyway..

It took me 10 minutes to figure out how to start the car. Once she fired tho I knew how to shift into reverse a get underway.

The solid feel was very reassuring, being a big Benz driver. It moved over the street like zero G, just floating in the slow cruise mode. The steering is much better of course. When I flicked it about, it told me that it was a true GT car, the ride reminded me more of my little Porsche 944t I owned years ago. This car felt like an out and out sports car to me.

We did several laps of the clover leaf on Friday night during rush hour - darned it! The limits are well defined with this incredible car. When I had open circle to accelerate in, it would just push in the most neutral flat cornering attitude. This car will steer 50/50 with steering wheel and throttle and it will generate big G's on it's big 18in wheels and wonderful aluminum suspension magic. It is flat as a pancake and the six speed tranny is uncanny. You feel pleasant little pulses as it shifts and it always seemed to be in the perfect ratio. A revelation for an old world 560 driver. The V8 sings like a siren through it's lovely pipes and makes turbine like power only with torque. This thing scoots like a scalded cat. But straight as an arrow! You punch it, it instantly goes to the low end of the endless selection of gears and plants and launches like a - well all I could think of was a formula one car might accelerate with this kind of accuracy and total lack of torque offset. The only cars that behave as well that I'm aware of are the 328i and the MB280C, both cars that I owned. The 560sel with a fully functioning suspension will also handle surprisingly well when you hand it the torque and rudder. But back to the silver boy.

I did all this without ever fiddling with the idrive - I'm not sure it was even working on this car. But the car definitely worked and darned well. I've not ever driven a better automobile.

I may or may not end up owning the car. The last time I blogged on a car I ended up owning it and that was my beautiful old 560.

Bangle - you did it as far as I'm concerned.

Rick

·
Asanti AF 120
1,373 Posts
Nice to read your story/review, we have something in common; we love our seven since the day we got it :thumbup: Welcome to the Seven Forum, Bimmerfest is a good place to share your ups and downs with our beauty --keep coming back.

Best of luck with your Seven.

Rafa

·
Registered
162 Posts
I love it too....I normally do not like to put it to the test....but the other day this guy with a mbcl500 stopped next to my baby on a traffic light....you know the rest....he ask for it and he got what he deserved....I left him sweatting right behind.....usually this baby at the kick off it is kind of slow because the weight but when you hit it hard it really response the way it is supposed to response....I love it........ I am thinking to replace it with a Porche Carrera (what do you think...a big mistake correct ??) :) buy my wife and some of the kids are not happy at all....:bigpimp:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts